"What the hell are you doing?" Crowley's voice came from the doorway, and for once in her lifetime, Alex was thankful for the demon's presence.

Lucifer turned away, momentarily distracted, and the young angel took the opportunity to cough up blood, spasming at the pain that wracked her body. "What does it look like?" The devil's smooth voice was back under control. "I caught her trying to escape, and now she must face the consequences."

Alex could feel the demon's gaze upon her, but she couldn't find it in her to raise her head. "You shouldn't be so hard on her. It's natural for a caged beast to try and escape." A growl rumbled in Lucifer's throat, and Crowley hastened to add, "You of all people should be able to understand."

The rooom grew brighter as Lucifer's wings folded back down to his side, letting the light of the dim bulb fall upon Alex, but his chin lifted as he turned fully to face the demon. "What use do I have for faithless pet?" The insult was accompanied by a flick of his grace, as sharp as a whip against her skin, and Alex flinched away. "Humankind knows nothing of loyalty."

"Loyalty can be learned. Tenacity and fortitude cannot." Crowley's calm words had the devil's grace pulling away from the young angel. "She's more like you than you care to realize. Either of you." His gaze fell onto Alex, and the angel shuddered in pain. "I've heard newly turned angels are particularly malleable. All she needs is trust and time."

Lucifer's feathers ruffled, a clear indication that Crowley had stepped out of line, but when the demon fell silent, his wings folded downwards. "It won't be long before I meet Sam Winchester," he coldly announced, the threat in his voice clear. "There's still much for me to do."

Crowley dipped his head and disappeared, and Alex scooted away the best that she could, pressing her back into the cold stone wall as the devil once again turned back to her. Another spasm shook her thin frame, and her muscles tightened her chest as she coughed up another mouthful of blood. She could feel the internal bleeding pressing against her skin, but the blunt pressure was dulled by the overwhelming pain of her broken wing, which lay limply against her back. A snap of the archangel's fingers brought back the familiar tightness of the iron shackle around her ankle, and she buried her head into her chest. "Alex." Lucifer's voice was chiding. "Don't be like that. Look at me."

Alex lifted her head, too terrified of the ramifications if she didn't. She let blood dribble from her mouth before she lowered it once again, her eyes staring into emptiness.

The devil grunted his approval, and his wings folded forward, brushing up her leg. "I'm sorry." The apology came as a surprise. "Maybe I wasn't clear before. We have two rules here. You're not allowed to leave, and you will obey me without question. Follow them, and no more harm will come to you." His fingers dragged up her arm, coming to rest in the hollow of her throat between her collar bones, and Alex winced at the icy warmth of his grace that spilled though her limbs. It washed away some of the pain, leaving behind only a dull ache, and Alex whined as the archangel pulled away. "Shh." Lucifer's feathers dragged over her, his fingers pressing against his lips. "I'll be back before long." He let his promise hang in the air for a second, and then with a push of his wings, he was gone.

A day passed, and then a second and third. The door never unlocked, and no visitors came for her. Alex was alone, left only with the thoughts in her head and the pain in her wing. Lucifer's grace had healed the trauma in her abdomen, but it had done little else. By the end of the first day, she had been able to pull herself over to the bed, the scraping of the iron shackle against the ground following her slow progression. Her wing dragged behind her, useless and limp, and pain as sharp as burning needles shot down to the tip of her feathers whenever her movements proved too quick.