I Believe the Children are our Future

January 8th, 2010

It was the next day. Alex was sitting in a diner, munching on a bag of chips. Sam sat across from her, on his laptop, and Dean was out getting gas.

"Hey hey hey." Sam suddenly leaned in, interested.

Alex looked up, sliding a potato chip into her mouth. "Hm?"

"I may have found us a case. Alliance, Nebraska. The police report says something clawed through a girl's skull."

"Ooh. Heart missing?"

"Doesn't say. No details have been released." Sam eyes rolled upwards in thought. "Nebraska's only the next state over. Might be worth checking into."

Alex nodded. "Yeah. Clear it with Dean, and we can leave now."

Sam looked up, obviously confused to see her instead of Dean. Then he blinked. "O-Oh yeah. Sorry. I'm use to having these conversations—"

"With Dean. I get it." Alex held out the bag. "Chip?"

"Wow. I'm gone for ten minutes and you're already offering him my food." Dean slid into the booth next to Sam, grabbing the bag for himself.

"Uh, first off, you've been gone for almost half an hour. Secondly, those are my chips." Alex took the bag back. "What took you so long? I thought you were getting gas."

"Got distracted. Figured you and Sam could use a little more alone time." Dean reached for the bag, but Alex pulled it away.

"Oh yeah. We had a good talk. All about you, actually." Alex stuffed a chip in her mouth.

Sam rolled his eyes. "I found a case." He turned his laptop so Dean could see. "Police say that something clawed through a teen's skull. Sounded like our kind of thing."

Dean nodded. "Alliance, Nebraska. That's only half an hour out." He clapped Sam on the back. "Good going. Let's go."

...

Sam and Dean stopped at a gas station to change into their suits. "If we're going to a morgue, why can't I go?" Alex leaned over the seat, pouting. "Please? Besides, it's not like Bobby's going anywhere. They can just call him if they need me."

"Fine. Give him a call. If he says yes, then fine."

"Yes!" Alex fell back in the seat, pulling out her phone.

She dialed Bobby's number, and it rang. Then it rang again. Then Bobby answered. "What do you want?"

"Bobby! Hey. How are you doing?"

"Good."

"So, me and the Winchesters are checking out a case in Alliance. In Nebraska."

"I know where Alliance is."

"Okay. Well, we're going to see a body, and I wanted to go—"

"So you need me to back you up when they realize you're obviously not FBI."

"Bobby. Please? Something scratched a girl's brain out. That's pretty interesting. Please?"

"Fine. Whatever. Ain't like I'm busy over here."

"Thanks!" Alex hung up, then got out of the car. She grabbed her bag, and hurried in to the bathroom.

...

Alliance, Nebraska

Ten minutes later they were standing in the Alliance Morgue. Sam and Dean held up their FBI badges. "Agents Page and Plant, FBI."