In the Beginning

They drove for the entire day. After listening to Dean's cassettes a couple times, Alex and Dean quickly agreed that the three best songs were Ramble On, Eye of the Tiger, and Wanted Dead of Alive. Dean tried to vouch for Traveling Riverside Blues, but Alex quickly threw it out. Sam listened to their heated debate quietly, not bothering to add his opinion.

...

September 25th, 2008
Detroit, Michigan

Around midnight, Dean pulled the Impala into the parking lot of a small motel. While Sam got a room, Alex helped Dean unload their duffle bags from the trunk and they made their way towards the rooms. Sam joined them, and unlocked the door. He stepped inside and turned on the lights. "So how are we suppose to sleep?" Dean finally asked, looking around. "See, this is why you don't come along." He motioned towards the two beds.

"You don't want me because there's not enough beds?" Alex could barely contain her disbelief.

"I can sleep on the couch." Sam tossed his bag onto the worn piece of furniture.

"Cool. I'll take this one." Alex launched herself onto the farthest queen-sized bed.

Dean said nothing, but swung his duffle bag onto the remaining bed. "Well, I'm heading straight to bed." He glanced at the clock, and proceeded to collapse on the mattress. Alex yawned and closed her eyes, not really bothering to change into more comfortable clothes; she was too tired.

...

She woke to hear movement in the room. She opened her eyes to see Sam slip on his jacket. "Where you going?" she whispered.

Sam jumped, and adverted his gaze guiltily. "Nowhere."

"Ruby?" Alex guessed. It wasn't hard to tell; she didn't think Sam would look so guilty getting a beer.

"Don't tell Dean," he whispered back.

"If I was going to, I would have told him long ago," Alex promised. She propped herself up on her elbows. "Now go. You don't want to miss your date." She watched Sam quickly leave the room. The door locked with a small click. She closed her eyes and lay quietly for a few more minutes. On the other bed, Dean tossed and turned. Alex opened her eyes and watched him worriedly. After a few seconds, Castiel appeared. Alex quickly shut her eyes, watching him through barely closed eyes. The angel sat down on the bed next to Dean.

Suddenly, Dean gasped and jerked awake.

"Hello, Dean," Castiel spoke. "What were you dreaming about?"

"What, do you get your freak on by watching other people sleep?" Dean struggled through his tiredness to sit up. "What do you want?"

"Listen to me. You have to stop it."

"Stop what?" Dean was silenced as Castiel reached out and touched him gently on the forehead with two fingers. Both Dean and Cas disappeared.

Alex sat up with a start. "Great," she spoke out loud. "Just leave me here alone." After a small pause, she added, "Oh yeah. By the way, Cas, don't know if your listening, but I'm sorry if I insulted you. So yeah. And remember to bring Dean back. He's my ride." With that, she slowly fell back to sleep.

...

"I couldn't stop any of it!"

Alex groggily rolled over at the sound of Dean's voice. "Keep it down," she grumbled, but sat up and glanced at the clock. 2:52. Alex groaned. Two hours. He'd been gone for two hours.

Dean had sat up and was staring at Castiel, who was standing at the foot of the bed. "She still made the deal. She still died in the nursery, didn't she?" He ignored Alex.