Dance With the Devil

Start from the beginning

Alex felt her face pale, and her wings drew in closely as she desperately searched the demon's face for any sign of deception.

"And once Sam and Dean send his ass back to the cage," Crowley added as Alex strained fruitlessly at her bonds, fighting back panic as the ropes dug into her exposed wrists, "Well ... we'll figure that out later, won't we? That is if there's anything left."

The door creaked open, and Alex froze. Footsteps approached, soft and quiet, and the young angel squeezed her eyes shut, her chest constricting in terror. "Is this her?" The newcomer's voice was soft, contemplative, and cold. All too familiar.

"Yes, this would be the one." Crowley stepped back, and the knife in his hands glided in the harsh light.

"You haven't harmed her." The question sounded more like a statement — a threat, Alex shakily corrected. So much power rested behind the simple set of words, crackling through the air like lightning.

"Of course not." Crowley was quick to stow the weapon, stepping away even further to put more distance between himself and the angels. "She's been quite cooperative."

Alex couldn't help by snort angrily, her gaze snapping up to meet Crowley's with a snarl, but she was silenced as cold hands brushed across her wings. An involuntary whimper fell from her lips, and Alex dropped her head, eyes squeezed shut. The hand moved, trailing across her arch down to her shoulder, and Alex shied away as the figure stopped in front of her. "Alex?" The voice lifted in surprise, quelled within a second, and the young angel felt her jaw tremble. "Last time I saw you, you didn't have wings." Fabric rustled as he crouched down in front of her, the coldness of his skin permeating the air. "You do recognize me, don't you? You should. Remember? I'm the one who almost killed my baby brother. Of course, you had to step in and save him."

Alex didn't look up; she didn't even open her eyes.

"I'm the one who escaped from the Cage?" The voice grew singsong, almost playful in manner. Sam Winchester's my vessel? Come on, Alex. I know you can hear me."

With the greatest reluctance, Alex lifted her gaze.

"There we go." Lucifer grinned, his cold blue eyes sparkling in curiosity and amusement. "Now, I'm going to be completely honest. I wasn't expecting you." His pointer finger tapped thoughtfully on his chin. "What happened? What is Gabriel?"

Alex's throat tightened, unable to respond, and after a second, Crowley answered for her. "Castiel."

"Castiel." The archangel repeated the name, his tongue twisting around the word before he nodded thoughtfully. "He always had a soft spot for humanity, but I didn't know it would ever come to this. Now, what I do know is that wings don't come in until after six months." Long, crimson wings stretched upwards, flicking for emphasis, but Alex couldn't tear her gaze away from his face. "Which means you've been an angel since I've got here. And I don't suppose you were going to tell me any of this."

Alex tried to respond, but all she could manage was a low growl. A pitiful sound, but her point was clear.

A similar noise rumbled in Lucifer's chest, a clear warning. "Well, le adna agi," he decided. "I think you and I will have a great time." He rose back to his feet, and Alex drew in a deep, gulping breath, straining for oxygen. "What was it you wanted in return?"

Alex watched as Crowley straightened up in surprise to find the demon's attention upon him. "All I ask, my lord, is my life." His words were accompanied by a flourishing bow, and Alex huffed.

Lucifer's eyes narrowed thoughtfully before he waved his hand in a dismissive manner. "For now. Go away." The demon disappeared before the last syllable had fallen, and Lucifer turned back to her.