➳ 39: what lies beneath

AT the boarding house, Luke was sitting on the living room couch and chanting a locator spell. "Permisso laca tha tar. Permisso laca tha tar."

Damon was at the bar across the room, pouring himself a drink. He started to grow impatient and threw an ice cube at him. Luke stopped chanting and made an annoyed face but didn't open his eyes. "That's not helping."

"Well, you've been failing now for an hour, Wonder-Twin, so at this point, I can't imagine it's hurting." Damom grumbled as he grabbed another ice cube from the bucket and threw it at him again.

Stefan walked into the room and placed a hand on his hip while leaned against a table. "Damon, I know you're out a friend, but, uh, I'm not sure this guy's the best replacement."

"I don't think this guy's the best anything if his locator spell skills are any indication." Damok insulted and tossed a grape in his mouth. "Yo! Where's your sister?" He asked Luke with a mocking look.

"She's tired of being almost murdered." Luke snapped causing Damon to smirk and finally opened his eyes, glaring at him. "Look. I can find any person anywhere on the planet, okay? There's just something weird with your friend Enzo. I can't get a read." He said in frustration and ran a hand along his face.

"Probably because he's de---" Efah started to admit as she entered the room, drying her wet hair with a towel.

Stefan's eyes widened in fear and he quickly moved to cover up her words by raising his voice above hers. "Enzo? Didn't he, uh, go to Cape Horn?" He asked curiously, anxiety racing through his body, while Efah discretely gave a look.

"He flipped his humanity switch. There should have been a body count all the way to the airport." Damon pointed out knowingly.

Stefan narrowed his eyes and tried to quickly think of a way to stall his brother. "Well, why are you looking for him?"

"Gee. I don't know, Stefan." Damon snarled sarcastically and walked around the bar. "Vampire with no humanity who wants me dead for killing his girl. Hmm." He pretended to think it over with a patronizing look.

"Well, maybe he hired a witch to block whatever Luke's doing." Stefan theorized, turning to the witch. "Is that possible?" He asked nervously, sparing a glance with Efah.

Luke didnt look up at him, his eyes quickly moving around the map on the table in front of him as he tried to figure out why it wasn't working. "A cloaking spell? I guess."

"I guess that would mean that he doesn't want to be found, so, uh, why don't you just drop it?" Stefan asked with a tense smile.

Damon stared at his brother in skepticism, noticing his sketchy tone of voice.

Suddenly, Tyler came bursting in through the front door. "We have a problem." He informed them through heavy breaths and walked over to sit down on the couch across from Luke. "Markos turned Sloan into a vampire, had her drink doppelgänger blood, and after some chanting ritual thing, she turned human again."

"He cured her?" Damon asked in disbelief.

"He cured her to death." Tyler corrected sternly. "The blood took away her vampirism but left her in the state that she was in just before she turned."