Chapter 2

The ambulance rolls up and men jump out of the side doors. They are wearing dark uniforms and carrying an emergency kit. The sirens go off as they run over to the unconscious boy. Two of the men run to the back and get out the stretcher. The other two check his heartbeat. There is a very faint beat. He is alive. He isn't breathing much though. They lift him up and roll him over to the back of the vehicle.
"One parent may ride along with him. The others need to follow behind." one of the men said.
"I will go" Katie said, choking on tears. "I wanna ride in an ambulence" Hayley exclaimed.
"Not today, honey. This is urgent. Only one person can go. Okay? I will see you at the hospital. Bye, love you Hay" with that Katie hopped in and they slammed the door shut. Hayley busted into tears.

The lights and sirens attracted Annie over to the field.
"What happened?"
"The pitcher threw the ball at Caleb on accident and it hit him in the chest very hard." Billy said sniffling. "It will be okay. He's strong." He tried to lighten the mood. He wasn't sure though. Nobody did.

As they entered the hospital, the lady at the front desk greeted them with a smile.
"What can I do for you today?"
"We are here to see Caleb LeBlanc"
"Ummmm. I don't see any files here for that name... Oh wait, right here. He is in critical condition and nobody other than the parents can go in there. Room C7"
"Okay, thank you" Billy said as he walked down the hall.
Annie didn't like seeing her dad like this. "Wait a second, what room is it again?"
"C7"
"The C stands for Caleb and the 7 is his baseball number!"
"What do you mean?" Hayley said, confused.
"His room is C7"
"Wait really?"

Since Annie and Hayley couldn't go in the room, Billy walked around with them. They sat down at a ice cream place they found. It was completely silent between them. Nobody knew what to say. Billy's phone lighted up with a call from Katie. He got up and answered.
"Do you think he will be okay?" Hayley asked Annie
"I really don't know. I hope so."
Billy sped back to them. "We have to go"
They duped out the ice cream they barely ate,and raced down the hallway.