Chapter 42

~Kimbriella POV~

It's hard to keep the smile off my face, but I manage to do it. Seeing Decker's and Ryan's faces. ''I'm assuming you were a good little wolf and didn't say anything you weren't supposed to?'' Ryan cocks his head threateningly.

I nod, trying to look miserable. He appraises me for a second. ''Good.'' He says, seeming to believe me. ''And where is that woman?''

''Uh, she'll be out in a second, I think.'' Sure enough, she walks out of her office.''

''So can we count on your support?'' He asks, I can clearly see now that his is a test.

''Of course.'' She says smoothly, not missing a beat. ''Keep in contact.'' I have to refrain from letting out a sigh of relief.

''Fantastic.'' He murmurs, with that creepy smile that isn't really a smile. ''We'll be seeing you then.''

I don't even look at her as I leave for fear of exposing the plot. Right then, I realize I never asked her name even asked her name. But it was too late now. Ryan's firm, cold hand on my back ensures that.

''Are we visiting any more pack houses?''

''No.'' He growls shortly. ''We'd begun garnering support even before you came to us.'' My eyes widen. How long had this plot been going on.''

''Ready to shift?'' Decker asks, unbuttoning his shorts. I turn away. ''Yeah.'' I reply, but right at that moment I'm hit with an excruciating pain in the center of my chest. ''Aaghh.'' I moan, crumpling to my knees.

''What? What is it?'' Ryan demands dropping to the ground besides me.

''It hurts...'' I whimper, the only words I'm able to form.

''Where? What hurts?''

I hold my hand to the area right below my heart. ''It's like heartbum.'' I choke out, the excruciating pain causing black spots to flit in and out of my vision.

''It's because she's been away from Ryker for so long.'' Kaden mutters.

''Don't say his name!'' Ryan explodes, but quickly calms down as I scream, writhing in pain. ''I believe it'll pass in a bit.''

''It'll only get worse.'' Kaden warns.

''Worse?'' This is bad enough.

''We'll figure something out.'' Ryan waves away his concerns. ''For now. I'll carry her.''

''Please don't.'' I manage to say, and he glares at me.

''You'd better get comfortable around me, because soon enough we'll be real close.'' He chuckles, morphing into his wolf form.

''What?'' I freeze, momentarily forgetting my pain. Decker sets me on Ryan's back. The pain is starting to subside but I don't know when it'll come back. I have a pounding headache, the only thing that keeps me sane is is the thought of Ryker, finally coming.

~Ryker POV~

Y'know, we have to consider the possibility that mayby- mayby she's not alive.'' Just saying the words is painful.

''No.'' Brinley shakes her head. ''Don't say things like that.''

''Then where could she be!'' I explode. ''We've checked EVERYWHERE!''

''Not everywhere. Everywhere is logical.'' Her smart-aleck mouth only increases the urge to break something.

Suddenly, a pain blossoms into my chest. I groan, sinking slowly to the floor, gripping my chest.

''What?' Brinley peers at me, then realizes something is seriously wrong. ''Do you need the pack doctor?'' I shake my head. ''What hurts?''

''It's right here.'' I say, indicating the area of my chest I'm clutching. ''It burns.''

''Are you sure you don't need medical assistance?''

''I don't know.'' I can't think straight. ''Give me a minute or two.''

She gives me four, and only then does the pain begin to lessen.

''What was that?'' She raises her eyebrows.

''I think that was me and Kimbriella being apart for to long.'' I mutter, rubbing at my chest.

''Well this means she's alive, right!?'' Brinley looks at me hopefully. ''Yeah, I guess it does.'' I nod. The sound of the phone ringing piques my curiosity. No one actually calls the pack house. We go downstairs to see who it is. Waving away the others who moved to pick up the phone.

''Hello, Aldaine residence.'' I almost laugh at my stupid greeting.

''I know where your mate is.''

''I swear, if you have her, I will hunt you down and-''

''Slow down there. I didn't take her, I'm helping her. Do you know Ryan Homelock?''

Warning bells in my head clang so loudly I'm sure everybody standing around pretending not to eavesdrop can hear it.

''Yeah.'' I growl. ''I know that guy.''

''He has her.''

''Where?''

''Her old pack house. The Canterbury pack house.''

I want to scream, and jump for joy, and hit myself in the face, all at the same time. Why hand't I thought to check there.

''Thank you so much! We're forever in debt to you. Say, what's your name?'' I ask, but only get a steady buzz of sound. She's hung up. I would call back, but I don't have time to worry about this now. ''PACK MEETING AT ONCE!'' I bellow to anyone in earshot. I wait impatiently for everyone to arrive. Probably hearing the urgency in my howl, everyone arrives more quickly than usual, gathering within fifteen minutes.

''What is it?'' Elision questions breathlessly, letting Ashalyn down from his back. ''We got here as quickly as we could.''

''I'll explain it in a second.'' I look over his disheveled appearance quickly. ''Just so you know, you might want to flatten your hair, and your shirt is on inside-out.''

Both Ashalyn and Elison blush furiously, and he quickly fixes his shirt, while Ashalyn lovingly smooths his hair.

''Thanks.'' He grins. Out of the corner of my eye. I see Trey helping Cynthia up onto the stage of sorts we have here. I wonder if she's injured.

''Anytime.'' I roll my eyes. The pack is waiting for me to address them, so I step up to the front..

MERRRYYY XMASS PEOPLE!