Chapter 41

~Ryker POV~

We enter the house. ''This is ridiculous.'' She hisses.

''It'll work, you'll see.'' I guide her around since she can't really see. Since I didn't really want to walk n with a giant wet spot on my shirt, and she didn't want to look like she was crying. It was the perfect solution. ''Just cover your face.''

''I can't see her eyes, but I'm pretty sure she rolls them. ''What does it look like i'm doing?'' She clutches my shirt to her face, while I go shirtless. Everybody moves, giving us weird looks but not questioning at all. I help her upstairs. We reach the bathroom, and I shut the door. She takes the shirt off her face, and the moment we make eye contact we both start cracking up helplessly.

''Goddess, we are so stupid.'' I giggle like a teenage girl.

''Speak for yourself.'' She snorts clutching the door handle for balance. ''Hey, can I ask you something?'' She quickly gets serious.

''Uh, sure?''

''Could I, would you-... could I stay here? Like for a while? I hate to impose but..-''

''Hey, hey now.'' I shush her. ''You don't have to explain a thing. You can stay for a long as you need to.''

''Thanks.'' She turns away.

~~~~

~Kimbriella POV~

I change in a small copse of trees, then follow Ryan into the pack house. It's smallish, for a pack house, and a balding, middle-aged man comes to greet us.

''Ryan.'' He bows his head, indicating deference as if he were an Alpha. ''Miss Kim.'' He ducks his head again.

''See here, Mr. Yalder, we don't want any trouble, just the support of you pack against her mate's, who almost forced her into an unwanted marriage. But I don't have to explain, I'm sure you'll agree.''

''Yes, yes of course.'' The short, fat man agrees rapidly.

''I'll be in touch.'' Ryan grins, a scary thing more like the baring of teeth than a smile, and exits.

~~~~~

~~~~~

~~~~~

~Ryker POV~

I pace the hallway outside my room. ''It's been three months. Where could she be!?''

''If I knew, I would tell you.'' Brinley says dryly, rolling her eyes.

''Not helping.'' I growl, yanking tufts of my hair.

''Careful, Kim won't like it if you're bald.''

''Still, not helping.''

''Well, sorryyyyy.''

''We've checked every logical place. Where could she be?''

''I don't know.'' She murmurs quietly.

~~~~~

~Kimbriella POV~

The next two pack houses are exactly the same-run by wolves clearly terrified of Ryan. They easily bend to his will, these poor excuses for Alphas, and I can't help my contempt, though I know they must have reason. I sigh inwardly at this failure- even Ryker's pack won't be able to go up against the size of my almost equal pack along with all these others.

I change behind a particularly pretty bush after commanding everyone to look away, again. I knock on the front door, and smiling lady answers. She has black hair cut just above her jawline that accentuates the pointed shape of her face. The hair is mostly straight, but it curls up at the end, almost cartoon-like. Her face is naturally darker, but I can tell she doesn't go outside a lot. She's middle height, about three inches taller than me, and skinny but not overly so.

''Hello.'' I say, glancing over the top of her shoulder. ''We're looking for the Alpha?''

''That would be me'' She narrows her eyes, smile disappearing. She has a bit of a Spanish accent, pleasant to listen to.

''Oh.'' Awkward. ''I'm sorry, I didn't realize.''

''It is okay, everyone always makes the same mistake.'' She sounds tired. ''Come in.''

''Thank you.'' I say, but she doesn't even seem to hear.

''Someone grab three pairs of men's shorts!'' She calls, and almost instantly we have three pairs of shorts. I squeeze my eyes shut as Ryan, Kaden and Decker shift back. The lady chuckles. ''So innocent, no? You are of Alpha blood, surely you have found your mate and mated?''

I wince. ''Well, I have a mate, but, uh no, we haven't''

Ryan smiles creepily at this statement, Kaden stares awkwardly at the ground, and Decker snicker.

''Oh, dear.'' She frowns. ''Well, you and I will have a talk about that once we are done with business.''

''Oh, um.'' I search for words, but none come. Decker snickers again, and Ryan interrupts smoothly. ''You see, that is our dilemma. Her mate's pack is enemies with her own, and took her as a peace offering, essentially. She hates him and his pack, and we're enlisting the help of other packs attacks his.''

'"We are?'' I squeak. I can barely find my voice for sudden fear of Ryker's safety. ''Yes, we are.'' He says firmly.

''Oh, no no no.'' She shakes her head vigorously. ''That cannot be. I do not believe it for a second. No matter how much you are enemies, you nor any wolf would ever be cruel enough to want to kill their mate.''

''He killed her parents, and the parents of these wolves, my-'' He clears his throat. ''-our pack's Betas. He's bloodthirsty and almost successfully seduced Kim here into beings his mate, and he needs to be stopped.''

(Am I the only one who starts to hate Ryan very very much?)

She ponders this. ''Is this true? If so, I can promise my pack's assistance.''

''Yes, it's true.'' Ryan nods.

''No, fool.'' She shakes her head. ''I need to hear it from the girl.''

''Tell her, Kim.'' Ryan growls into my ear, his tone menacing.

''I-i-I-it's.. It's.. I...'' Seeing my dilemma. Ryan sharply pinches my hand. I let out a small yelp of pain, but it does the job. ''It's the truth.'' I say, sounding more confident than I feel. She eyes me suspiciously.

''Alright.'' She nods, and notices the way my face falls when she says this: ''But I need to speak with the girl alone.''

Ryan nods and gives me a hard, threatening stare.

Trying not to show my fear, I follow the woman. She leads me into an office and shuts the door, cutting straight to the chase.

''I know you are lying.''

''N-no.''

''You don't have to lie to me. You can deny it all you want, and yet I will still know the truth. I do not know under what circumstance they have threatened or bribed or forced you into this, but I will help you. Who is your mate?''

''R-Ryker Aldaine.''

''Where are you staying while captured by that evil man?'' She asks, narrowing her eyes at even the mere mention of Ryan.''

''My old pack house, Canterbury pack house.''

''I will get word to him.'' She promises. ''Go now, or he will suspect.''

''Thank you.'' I whisper, and clash out of the room, inwardly bursting with joy.

My mate is coming, and he will finally be able to rescue me.