Chapter 25

~Kimbriella POV~

It was eleven o'clock. And I was wide awake. Actually, no I wasn't. I was unbelievably tired. But couldn't sleep. And yet, I couldn't keep my eyes open enough to do anything else, like ready. If I listen really hard, I can detect the sound of Ryker rolling over restlessly. Okay, so mayby I need him. A little.. Or a lot... Snuggling deeper into the covers, I refuse to even entertain the idea of just walking into his room, getting a good night's sleep... shut up, self. Sighing, I brace myself. It was going to be a loooooooong night.

The morning was even worse than I had anticipated. I could barely muster up the strength to get out of bed. I sat in front of the stairs for five minutes before finally just sliding down them on my butt. Using the banister for support, I heave myself up and lean against the wall to get the kitchen.

''Kim..'' Brinley stares at me. ''You look awful.''

''Thanks.'' I say in a monotone, too tired to even summon sarcasm. This is ridiculous -I am never to tired for sarcasm.

''Have you slept at all in the past two days?'' She asks, her tone concerned.

''Not really.'' I sigh, slumping into a chair and letting my head rest on the table.

''Is this another stupid mate thing that I don't understand?''

''Yup.''

''I'll be right back.''

''Mmfhg.'' I mumble, to lazy to form real words. All of a sudden, I hear Brinley's distinct voice holler from upstairs.''RYKER IF YOU DO NOT COME WITH ME RIGHT EXACTLY NOW I WILL MAKE SURE YOU NEVER HAVE CUTE LITTLE PUPS WITH KIMBRIELLA!''

His response isn't quite as loud, but I can hear the swearing in his reply back to Brinley. However, I hear his footsteps and Brinely's making their way down the stairs. I almost muster the strength to giggle as I see Ryker shuffle into the kitchen, Brinley poking him in the back viciously as if keeping his moving at sword point.

''Get on the couch, Ryker.'' He complies with Brinley's demand. ''Your turn, Kimbriella.''

''Nooo..''I protest weakly.

''I will never bring you your favorite brownie mix ever again if you do not get your lazy butt up this minute.''

Falling out of the chair in my haste, I crawl over to the adjoining living room, next to the couch. What can I say? Food is my motivator. ''Get on.'' I climb on top of the couch, next to Ryker. The moment I touch him, I instantly fall asleep.

''Mmm..'' I groan as I stretch, waking up. I feel completely refreshed. My elbow hit something as I extend my arms.

''Ouch.'' I jerk. It talks? Sitting up, I blink rapidly, expelling the black spots dancing in front of my eyes. Curled up in between the back of the couch and me is Ryker, looking awfuly cute as he wakes up.

Wait a second.. ''BRINLEYYYY MAREEEE I AM GOING TO MURDER YOU IN YOUR SLEEP!'' A giggle erupts from her mouth as he sits in the chair across from the couch, phone in hands.

''You two sleeping together makes for some really adorable pictures.'' She informs me, beaming.

''Give me the phone.'' I lunge at her, and she begins to kick out wildly.

''No. No! NO! SOMEBODY HELP ME I'M BEING ATTACKED!'' I move her legs aside with ease and begin to tickle her.

''Oh goodness gracious no HAVE MERCY PLEASEEE!'' She squeals, laughing helplessly, Strong arms lift me up and away from my target.

''No no nooo, stop it.'' I trash, trying to get away from my captor. I would turn around to look at the person's face, but from the way my heart is thumping erratically, I already know who it is. ''Ryker, put me down.''

''And let you attack Brinley some more? I don't think so.''

Frustrated, I make myself dead weight, dragging my feet along the carpet. ''But she has pictures.''

''Pictures that I would like to see. And frame.''

''Creeper.'' I frown.

''Only when it comes to you.'' He sets me on my butt and pinches my cheek.

''And you wonder why I refuse to sleep in the same room as you.'' I roll my eyes.

''I never did get to talk to Elison.'' He muses, ignoring me entirely. Wisely recognizing her reprieve, Brinley dashes out of the living room and out of sight.

''Too bad.'' I grumble, irritated.

''Aw, baby, don't be angry.''

''Expect to have another sleepless night!'' I tell him, pointing my finger with menace. His teasing manner drops, making me feel a little teensy-weensy bit guilty.

''You and I have a meeting with another Alpha tomorrow, and it would be great idea to make a very good impression.''

I stare at him blankly. ''Do I look like I care?''

He opens his mouth to speak, but before he can say a word, I give him the answer. ''No.''

''So you ask me to include you in my duties, and when I ask you to make my job easier, you refuse?''

''I gape at him. The guilty feeling vanishes. ''Don't you even try to guilt trip me! This is entirely different circumstances, and you know it!''

''That's a horrible excuse.'' He laughs, a harsh sound very different from the normally deep, familiar chuckle.

''I'll accompany you to the meeting, I'll be supportive, I'll even look semi-decent.''

He raises an eyebrow.

''Okay, fine. I'll make a sacrifice, I'll wear a dress! But I thought we agreed to take this slow. You know, one step at a time.''

''Dang it, Kimbriella! Mayby I don't want to take it slow.'' He growls, grabbing me with force, and yet somehow gently, and crashing his lips to mine. I have to admit, this was nice. Okay, a lot better than nice. I could feel the position of his hands, searing my back, and exhilarating burn that didn't hurt at all. One on my right hip, the other sliding up and down my back, driving me a little bit crazy. I clutch the top of his shoulders and let my hands drop, sliding down his chest and resting at his waist.

Resenting even this little bit of space between us, I hook my fingers in the waistband of his shorts and yank him closer. Standing on my tiptoes to reach his mouth best I can, I give a gasp of surprise as his warm hands move up my back, under my tank top. Goosebumps explode where he touches, making me shiver. And then I pull away.