Chapter 38

~Kimbriella POV~

''Don't sweat it, you couldn't have known.'' Kaden murmurs.

''I should've realized something was up.'' I sigh, pushing back my unruly hair.

''He'll be back in a minute, you'll see.''

''Hating me even more, no doubt.'' I roll my eyes. Still, something seems odd. My parents were Alphas, theirs Betas. Both were killed. Something was definitely fishy here.

~Ryker POV~

''So what's up with you?''

''What do you mean, what's up with me?''

Even slightly getting used to her harshness, I'm taken aback all over again at the raw venom in her tone.

''I was only trying to help.''

''Well, I don't need your help. In fact, I don't need anyone's help.''

''Clearly.'' I mutter, leaning my head back against the headrest while carefully keeping my eyes on the road.

''Next time, stay out? Kay?'' Her voice is fakely light.

''Why do you push away anyone who tries to help you?'' I mutter, rhetorically. she stiffens next to me. ''Why do you ask so many questions?'' She tries to cover her uncomfortable state.

''Sorry, one more?''

''Depends on what is is?''

''Where are we going next, yours and Ashalyn's houses?''

Her knuckles bulge as they tighten on the armrests. Bingo. ''She won't be at my house. We can check Ashalyn's, though.''

''How do you know she won't be at your house?''

''That's more than one question.'' She deters me weakly. ''And.. I just do.''

''Mayby she went there knowing it was a place no one would expect her to be.''

She tenses, two sides clearly warring inside her. Finally, she slumps in the passenger seat. ''Fine, but you stay in the car.''

''Deal.'' I agree.

~Kimbriella POV~

Sure enough, Decker comes back in shortly, face in a scowl as usual.

''I'm sorry, I didn't know-'' He cuts off the apology.

''Save it.''

I press my lips together to refrain from making things worse. Then Ryan taps his spoon to his glass. ''I would like to propose a toast for our new Luna, who should've been our Luna long ago.''

The crowd murmurs in agreement before tapping glasses with one another. Decker refuses to tap glasses with me. ''He'll get over it.'' Kaden whispers.

''Our parents death, or my hatred for her? Because honestly, I don't think I can ever do either.'' He glares at me easily overhearing.

''Okay, seriously, what have I ever done to you.'' I throw my hands up, sick of his attitude.

''It's your mate's pack, that's obviously responsible for the death of both mine and your parents. How can you ever forgive him?'' He stares at me with disgust.

''Ryker told me he didn't kill them.'' I say firmly, crossing my arms.

''Did he say anything about the rest of the pack?'' He raises his eyebrows, tone full of scorn.

''Well..'' I search for an argument. ''No.''

The thought fills me with fear and anger. Had Ryker been telling the truth, but not the whole truth?

''That's what I thought.'' He smiles, a cold, hard smile. ''Naïve girl. You shouldn't be Alpha.''

''Decker!'' Ryan intercedes, slamming a fist on the table. Strange that he happens to be chastising them, since he's a Delta and Decker is a Beta...

''You know it's true. You're only putting up with is so you can-''

''SILENCE!'' He booms, and the whole room does so, even though he wasn't talking to them. Decker shifts uncomfortably. Though I have no clue what they're discussing, Decker had obviously gone to far this time. ''Another disturbance from you tonight and I will not put up with you insolence any longer.''

The whole room gasps. Is he threatening to...kill him?

''Yes, sir.'' He ducks his head, indicating deference. Even more odd...

~Ryker POV~

I knock on the door nervously. Seriously what am I supposed to say? Have you seen your daughter? No? Well, just wanted to let you know she's missing from my house, though you entrusted me with her safety. Sorry. The door opens, cutting of my train of thoughts.

''Hey there, son.'' Kimbriella's father stands, holding the door open, the door that will most certainly lead to my doom in a short amount of time. ''Come on in.''

''Oooh, Ryker, love, come into the kitchen.''

Love? Now I just want to sit down and out my head in my hands, because I am an idiot. A total idiot. ''So, what brings you here?'' She asks, handing me a plate with four warm, freshly baked cookies on top.

''I-er.. Kimbriella's gone...''

''Gone?'' Her father questions. His voice begins to raise in volume. ''What do you mean, gone?''

''Now honey, calm down.'' Mrs. Crelk soothes, putting a hand on his arm. ''No Hope, I will NOT calm down. My daughter is missing. Explain yourself.'' He booms.

''Everything was going fine.. actually no. Let me start over. She was crazy stubborn.'' I smile wistfully at the memory. ''Didn't want to get near me with a twenty foot pole, refused all contact with me, and even tried to reject me.''

Her father smiles proudly at this. ''Sounds like my girl.''

''Yeah..'' I offer a pained smile. ''She eventually began to warm up to me, and a day or two ago, things were going great. Better than great, actually. Perfect. And then I proposed.''

''You WHAT?''

''What did she say?!?''

''She refused, tore out of the room and wouldn't come come out. She told me she really was going to reject me, in front of the whole pack, and to be the next day. She told me, she basically told me she wanted nothing to do with me ever again, aside from the rejection. The next morning, she was gone.''

''A piece of advice, for you, son, never propose unless you know what she's going to say.''

''Thanks.'' I say dryly.''

''But.. we haven't seen her Ryker.'' He shakes his head. ''But we'll keep a lookout.''

''You're not.. mad?'' I ask, disbelieving. Both parents laugh heartily. ''No love.'' Mrs. Crelk chuckles. ''If Kim makes up her mind to do something, nobody's going to stop her.''

''Thank you ma'am. Sir.''

''Don't call me ma'am, it makes me feel old.'' Mrs. Crelk scolds me.

''You still have to call me sir.'' Mr. Crelk remarks dourly.

''O-okay.'' I murmur.

''Now go find our daughter and bring her back. Or I might have to kill you!''

''T-thank you.'' I say. I open the door and step outside. Brinley gapes at me from the car.

''How are you still alive?''

''They like me.'' I smile smugly.

''If only I could say the same..'' She rolls her eyes.