A Heartbreak

Jason's pov

The plane lands and I message her asking where she is but she doesn't reply. Luckily I just happen to run by the resturaunt they're in. She looks pissed. I watch from the window of my truck. But I can't hear what they're saying. I put on a hoodie and sunglasses and walk in with the hood up and hiding most of my face and I find a booth close enough to there's. "I just... Maybe reconnecting with Jason was a big mistake. He's nothing like he was in high school." In high school, I didn't drink as much. "What was he like then?" "Always caring and fun loving. He didn't worry about other guys. He knows I don't cheat.... Or at least he did." I hear her crying. Oh man. "Girl, I told you, American people are all the same, nothin' but assholes." No we're not. Just me. "Jason's not an asshole. His heart is in the right place, he was never jealous like this before. I don't know what to do." I do. I stand up, pulling my hat lower so she doesn't know it's me and I get back to my truck. I stare at the steering wheel. I know what I gotta do. I gotta let her go. Let her be happy with Elliot. All I'm doing is hurting her. I can't keep doing that. But we have to talk face to face. I can't and won't break up with her over a text. Tears fill my eyes, imagining never holing her again. I punch the wheel in anger. "Why?!?!" I drive out of there fast.

*later*

They get home and I get out of my truck. "Jason? What are you doing here?" "I said I was comin' over." I fight back the urge to sob and beg for her forgiveness. "Can we.... Talk privately?" I ask, looking at her. She nods. We go to her room. "This is extremely hard for me to say and do." "What? Say what?" I take her hand. "I'm sorry I got jealous. I do know you'd never cheat on me. You're a good girl." "Jason what's going on?" A tear slips down my cheek. "I'm walking away. I'm not going to be jealous anymore." "Wait? What's going on?" "I'm.... Letting you go.... Be happy with Elliot. I'm sorry I hurt you... Again. I love you." I kiss her forehead. "Are you breaking up with me?" I back up and nod. "I'm leaving tonight and I'll never come back to France, you'll never see me again." "No, don't! Jason, don't go please!" But I have to and I am. "I'm sorry darlin', I am." I wipe the tears that are coming out of my eyes. She grabs my hand as I turn to leave. "Don't you dare walk out on me!" I turn back around to her, putting a hand on her shoulder and pulling the sleeve of her dress down to reveal her Macon tattoo. "Just never forget where ya came from. Don't lose your Georgia roots. I love you and I'm sorry. You.... Deserve someone better than me." I hug her one last time. "If you love me, don't leave me." I shake my head and walk out of her room. Elliot must have heard it all. He's staring at me shocked. "Take care of her for me, Elliot, be the man I can't be for her." More tears are forced from my eyes. I walk to the door and hear her running footsteps. "Jason, please don't go!" I turn back around. Elliot grabs her waist. "Please don't leave me! Not again!" Tears rush down my cheeks. "I'm sorry baby. This is goodbye." I close the door behind me and drive to the airport faster than I've ever driven, crying my eyes out the whole time. I delete her number from Luke's phone. I can't believe I just broke up with her. But I had to. She can be happy now. I walk up to the desk. "To the states. One way." I whisper, staring at the floor. "One way to the states." She hands it to me. "Thanks." I look back. France. I found her here and I lost her here. "Goodbye forever baby girl." Oh how I hate saying goodbye.