I can't handle it

Jason's pov

I may not be the one that makes her smile anymore but at least someone does. I stare at the picture I kept on my phone. It was graduation weekend. We hit a bar.

~flashback~

Me and Luke were having a shot competition. The whiskey burned my throat o bad but I just had to win. "Don't quit baby, you can do it!" Miranda cries, hanging on my shoulder. I cough a little but down another shot, gripping the bar til my knuckles turn white. Luke downs another. Dammit. I grip the shot glass but I don't think I can do it. My hand shaking, I bring it to my lips. My eyes go wide and I collapse to the floor. The only thing I hear are people screaming.

*later*

I wake up in a hospital bed. "What happened?" "Alcohol poisoning." She says. "I guess I need to slow down on the whiskey." I mumble, looking at the bed. "You're okay though right?" That's when I realize she's crying. "Of course babe, I'm fine. Ya can't keep a good dog down." She hugs me. "Tomorrow's graduation. This is going down in the memory book." She takes the picture with me shooting a thumbs up at the camera.

~flashback over~

I sigh. She's gone but I don't feel like doing anything but crying and begging for her to take me back. I hit delete and down another shot of fireball whiskey. Luckily the hotel I'm staying at sure is stocked up. "To happily ever after Lord knows they exist." I mutter sarcastically raising the container. I got rid of the shot glass and just started drinking straight from the thing. My chest feels tight. Probably from guilt. Ugh. I hate this feeling. I also hate the feeling of never holding that girl in my arms again. But it's too late, she doesn't want me anymore. I turn over on my side in the bed. There's a loud pounding on the door. I cover my face with the pillow, trying to block out the noise. "Jason, soundcheck in twenty minutes. Dammit. Mike opens my door. "Dang it Jason you're drunk aren't you?" "Halfway there." I mutter in reply, tilting the bottle to my lips. He slaps it out of my hands, infuriating me. "Why you-" "How are you gonna do soundcheck drunk?!" He shouts. "I don't need stupid soundcheck! I know what to do tonight!" I snap back, grabbing the bottle as it pours out on the bed. What a douche. Wasting good whiskey. "Get up dumbass." "Fuck man, leave me alone!" I throw the bottle at him which luckily makes him back off. Sadly I lost my whiskey and I'm too lazy right now to get up and get another one.

Miranda's pov

I'm so shocked. I didn't expect him to like me back. I oughta go thank Jason. But I know it'll just be weird. I was watching the latest news while eating toast. A name caught my attention. Jason's name. "Alcohol poisoning." I read aloud. That dummy. He's in the hospital. The worst part about it is I know he's alone. I also know my sweetheart self won't let him be up there alone.

Jason's pov

I wake up, my head and chest killing me. "What the heck happened?" I mutter, holding my head. Killer hangover. The door opens and I blink several times to try and see if I'm hallucinating. "Miranda? Is that really you?" I ask, rubbing my eyes. It's really her. "How much whiskey did you drink?" She asks, sitting by the bed. "Alcohol poisoning that's what happened." She says, before I can even answer her question. "What are you doing here?" I ask. "Making sure you were okay." Maybe she doesn't hate me. Maybe I was wrong. "I thought you hated me." "No I don't hate you. I just.... Don't still love you." I figured something along those lines. I lay back down, trying to stop the throbbing pain in my head. "Ugh I just can't handle whiskey." She laughs. "No you can't." My phone rings. My ringtone being Chris Young's I'm comin' over. I answer it, my cheeks probably red now. It's Thomas. "Hey bud." "Hey dad." I feel bad that I can't pick him up.

Miranda's pov

I went out in the hall to let him have a private conversation with his son. I sit down on the floor, fighting back tears and memories. I go back in there when he calls my name. "So how do you like being a dad?" I ask. "I love being a dad. I just hate that I'm not there alot of the time, what with touring and all. But Thomas is a great kid." "How old is he?" "Ten." "So what happened with Elliot?" He asks with a smirk. I glare at him. "You told him I liked him?" He nods. "You deserve happiness." He says, covering my hand with his. I look away. "I am very grateful for that by the way. Thanks." "Yeah I'd do anything for you." I hug him and my phone rings. It's Elliot. I smile and answer. "Hey El." "Where'd ya go?" "Oh I came up to visit Jason. He had a bad shot with fireball whiskey." I say, smirking back at him. His cheeks red. "Oh okay, well text me when you're done. I have a day planned for us." "Ok I'm about to leave now." We say our goodbyes and I put my phone up. "Your cheeks are fireball red." I joke, trying not to laugh. He tilts his hat lower concealing his face. I do laugh this time. "Well Elliot is taking me out so I'm gonna go." He nods. "Have fun." "I will... Thanks to you." He looks up, meeting my eyes. I kiss his cheek. One more goodbye. "I never got to say goodbye am those years ago so now I can." He grabs my hand when I turn to leave. He points to his guitar. "Before ya go, can I play ya a song?" I glance at the guitar. "Sure, I guess." He smiles and I hand him the instrument. He strums the cords. "Let's don't say goodbye. I hate the way it sounds so if you don't mind let's just say for now see you when I see you another place some other time, if I ever get down your way or you're ever up around mine, we'll laugh about the old days and catch up on the new yeah I'll see you when I see you and I hope it's someday soon. God made this whole world round and maybe it's that way so the paths that we go down will cross again someday and someday I'll...." He does the chorus again but this time he says, "Til then my prayers ate with you." It takes all my might not to cry. He lowers the guitar, looking into my eyes again. "Why did you do that?" I choke out, wiping a stray tear. "I told you I hate sayin' goodbye." He says, a sheepish smile on his face. "So we aren't saying goodbye. This ain't goodbye. I will see you again and I hope it's someday real soon." He hugs me. I leave. Why did he have to make me emotional like that? I clean myself up in the bathroom and meet Elliot at the bakery. He gets me a crème brulé and chocolate croissant. He gets a crab cheese baguette. "Thanks." I say, hugging him. "You're welcome. I'm glad you're happy." He kisses my head and I lean into his chest.

*the next day*

Jason's pov

Because of my stupid alcohol consumption, I had to reschedule the second concert so I'm doing it tonight instead and this time I did make it to soundcheck. The concert starts in twenty minutes. First I've got meet and greets. I head back to the meet and greets. I curse myself for not knowing French. I have no idea what anyone is saying. But I suffer through it and play the concert.

*two days later*

I'm about to get back on the bus for the rest of the tour. I'm done in France. It saddens me. Especially since I won't see her anymore. I put my guitar in its case and in the bus. A little blue sedan pulls up. Elliot and Miranda get out. I walk over. "Hey guys, what are you doing here?" "Good luck on the rest of the tour. It was great seeing you." She says, hugging me. Great seeing me?! That's weird. Okay. "Do you plan on going to Germany for any of your shows?" She asks. "Yeah a few." "Well it gets really cold there....um... Here." She gives me a scarf. Okay. "Th-Thanks." She waves one more time and heads back to the car. Elliot gives me her number. "Keep in touch." He says, patting my shoulder. I'm shocked. They leave and I stand there trying to figure out what just happened. Mike calls me and I board the bus. Goodbye France. Goodbye Paris. Goodbye my blue eyed baby girl. I hate goodbyes but it's too late. I wrap the scarf around my neck. It makes me wish it was her arms instead. "I guess I'll always have you in my dreams." I say, running my hand across the soft fabric. I'm gonna miss her so much. I'm back to square one again. Getting over her over again. I regret setting those two up. I don't trust myself around them now. It doesn't just tick me off or annoy me. It infuriates me. It makes my blood boil. I now know what I have to do. I have to get her back. I have to.