Chapter Fourteen: Flight

Start from the beginning

"Hi, I'm Derek, pleasure to meet you," he said in his smooth, deep voice that washed over me and made my nerves sizzle. I was so anxious that I barely heard Monica's response, and then she was gently pushing me out the door with Derek.

"See you later! Have fun," she chirped before slamming the door shut. In the sudden silence, I kept my eyes cast down to avoid the "So what should I say next" look from Derek. We got into his black Camaro without saying a word, and several minutes later the sheer awkwardness that had descended over us got the best of me.

"Mind if I put the radio on?"

"Sure, go ahead."

Unfortunately, "I Just Had Sex" by the Lonely Island came on, and that only added to the weirdness. Derek's eyes flickered over to me, and I couldn't help but look straight forward, the only sign that I was feeling uncomfortable being the hot red blush staining my cheeks. Come on Laymen, I said to myself. This is Derek, not some stranger. You had a great time with him on Friday! Don't screw it up now. So I opened my mouth and said the first thing that came to my mind.

"So, you're a werewolf, huh?" Almost immediately, I wanted to face palm. What the hell was that? I berated myself. We hadn't really talked much about the fact that he was a werewolf; Derek had tried to explain it to me, but I'd just nodded and said I understood. Even though I didn't. Not even close.

"Um, yeah."

"So when did that happen?" Dear God, Chris, stop talking! I blanched at my own social ineptitude, although Derek just seemed relieved that we were talking. In fact, I was practically shouting to be heard over the song, which only seemed to be screaming about having sex. Needless to say, there could not have been a worse song to come on at that moment.

"I was born a werewolf. My mom was one, most of my siblings were too...it's kind of in the family history," Derek told me, speaking as calmly and matter-of-factly as if he was telling me black hair ran in the family. I nodded, squelching down my real reaction, which probably would've ended the date there and then; I thought it was beyond cool that Derek was a werewolf, and I couldn't wait to ask him millions and millions of questions. Like, does he have to turn every full moon? Does silver burn him? Is he affected by wolfsbane? Does shifting hurt like in Vampire Diaries? Why do his eyes glow blue? Does he turn into a wolf or just a wolf-like man?

"Oh, that's cool. I get my small hands and feet from my mom," I said stupidly. Why would he care that my mom passed down a terrible gene to her unfortunate second daughter? God, Chris.

"How nice. What's your mother like?"

"She's great. Um, she travels a lot because of work so I was really pretty much raised by my older siblings."

"How many siblings do you have?"

"Three. Older sister, older brother, younger brother."

"The perfect family," Derek smirked, and I let out a peal of laughter. That was always a joke I made, but it was never appreciated by my family. They always thought I was being sarcastic and therefore rude. Finding myself relaxing into a more comfortable, humorous conversation with Derek, I realized this date wouldn't have to be defined by it's awkward first few minutes. We were going to get along just fine.

            I was startled out of my pleasant recollection of mine and Derek's second date by the jostling and sound of panic all around me. Opening my eyes, I quickly realized I was in the airport already, in Derek's arms. Stressed out single mothers and frazzled businessmen bustled past us, dragging children along behind them and talking into Blackberries urgently.