Chapter 8: Epiphany

"Master, you can't! It's suicide!" shouted Lancer, standing in front of Avantina.
"My relative and opponent has just extended an invitation to finish our fight. It would be most discourteous of me not to accept." answered the girl, seated on an armchair with her legs crossed, looking more relaxed than the situation called for.

All five of them had seen the letter they received the night before. Naturally, Lancer was first to object. But Avantina silenced him and said that they would deliberate the matter come daylight. The battle with Caster had left her frazzled and frustrated. Everyone else agreed that a good night's rest would ensure their judgement was not clouded.

As Lancer rambled on, Avantina read the letter in her hand again.

To Avantina Turen,

Dearest cousin, we never did draw a close to our previous battle. If you still wish to do so, meet us at the Einzbern grounds on Sunday afternoon. You're welcome to bring your allies, though I highly doubt numbers will be able to defeat my servant. Nevertheless, I wish for us to conclude our engagement with an honourable fight.

Regards,
Illyasviel Von Einzbern.

Avantina chuckled wryly, Sunday afternoon, eh? It's like she's inviting me to a tea party.

Shirou sided with Lancer, "Neesan, to fight at the castle gives Berserker a home-field advantage. It's too dangerous."

Saber observed her master's cousin in silence. Being both a conqueror and a strategist, she was certain that Avantina had something up her sleeve.

Archer was leaning against a window, irritated by all the jabbering. He saw Avantina's lips turn upwards into a subtle, cunning smile.

"On the contrary, Illyasviel's invitation is perfect. This way, outsiders won't be involved. Archer's Reality Marble will be our element of surprise."
"Archer's what?" said Shirou.
"It's the materialization and projection of a person's inner world into reality. Simply put, the home-field advantage will be ours, not Illya's. Once inside, Saber, Lancer and Archer can go all out without worrying about collateral damage."

Lancer grinned sheepishly, "So you were planning to use that thing Archer summoned after our boxing workout last week. You could have said so sooner instead of letting me prattle on like that."
"It was fun to watch." replied Avantina, shrugging her shoulders.
"Vixen." smirked Lancer.

It seemed everyone had settled on the strategy except for Shirou. He just stared at them, dumbfounded. He couldn't believe they'd come to a decision on such a weighty matter so quickly. It was as if waking up to fight vindictive mages and savage beasts was just another regular day for them.

"Look at the time, we'd best be going then."
"Going?" inquired Shirou.
"It's Friday, Shirou. We still have lessons at school."
"But my uniform-"
"I've asked Lancer to fetch it from your place. I'm going upstairs to get ready."

Under the steady stream of the shower-head, Avantina frowned at the bathroom tiles as the water ran down her face. Last night, she did not ask Lancer to refrain from killing Kuzuki Sensei.

He is a threat, that fact remains indisputable. Even so, I was more merciful to Ryuunosuke than him. Maybe because when Kuzuki looked at me, I knew he would kill me without hesitation if he wanted to. Did I let Lancer target him because I was afraid? That if it came to it, I wouldn't be able to kill him on my own?

Avantina twisted the knob and stepped out of the shower.

"Neesan, are we really going to school? At a time like this?" said Shirou as he saw his cousin descending the marble staircase.
"Education is not something to be neglected, Shirou." answered Avantina, admonishing him like a teacher would a disobedient child.