Chapter 12: The Deep Breath Before the Plunge

When Lancer came back to the Japanese mansion, he found Kiritsugu waiting expectantly in the courtyard.

"Lancer, I need to speak with you about Irisviel."
"My humblest apologies, master. I failed to find her again."
"About that. I need you to abandon the search for my wife."
"I beg your pardon, master?"

Lancer resisted the temptation to look into Kiritsugu's eyes and remained kneeling.

"I have explained to you before about Irisviel's identity as well as her purpose in this war. Her death was guaranteed, our victory is not. That's why I need you to concentrate and prepare yourself for the battle ahead."

Diarmuid was startled, he knew that Lady Irisviel's death was a vital and unavoidable outcome. But Kiritsugu seemed to have acknowledged that as easily as one would accept the colour of the sky or the presence of the sun. Unquestioned and unflustered.

How could his master have arrived at that conclusion with such ease? Nevertheless, he stood up and answered.

"Very well, master."

Over the next two days, Kiritsugu and Waver refined their plans and communicated with one another. Waver was scared out of his wits when someone called his cellphone and addressed himself as Diarmuid's master.

That man really has all the tools, huh? Lancer wasn't kidding.

On the second night, Waver saw peculiar flashes of light beyond his bedroom window. Immediately, he took out his handphone and dialed a number.

Diarmuid was standing by the pier, watching a waning gibbous moon control the undulation of the tides.

In this place, and in this silence, it was only inevitable for his mind to drift towards a certain someone.

Avantina was looking out her bedroom window. A full moon and a rainy night causing gleaming rivulets to run down the glass. She felt like herself for once.

She leaned her forehead against the window pane, letting the moonlight bathe her in its celestial glow.

Thinking that her servant was still downstairs finishing up the dishes, Avantina sang softly to herself.

Oh, what a marvelous sight

Oceans turn to gold right before my eyes

That vibrant color I crave

Wish I could taste

Take me there, take me there

I'll dive in the sky, oh the water's alive

I'll float down to soak in the stars

Swim away from the night, I am swallowed by light

Suddenly love doesn't seem very far

Here in this castle that sits on a cloud

Something consumes this heart, rooted deep down

Now slowly I'm falling

But I don't need saving

You've already got me

This celestial glow is blinding