Chapter 4: Return of the Sensei

"So because we're having some construction workers come over to fix the gymnasium, all after-school club activities are canceled until they finish." announced Fujimura Sensei, looking just as puzzled as most of her students. "I still don't know how THAT big a hole appeared overnight but..."

Shirou turned his head to look at his neesan, seated in the anime protagonist chair. She avoided his gaze, suddenly finding the window very interesting. Upon reflection, this situation actually cut both ways. It had been a hectic night of fights and meeting new relatives, now was the perfect time for reconnaissance.

For some absurd reason, Shirou was unduly concerned about Saber and had insisted that she stay put in the Japanese mansion. So Avantina took matters into her own hands when school ended.

"Archer, follow Shirou and make sure he gets home safe. I'm staying behind to get some information."
"Don't you have plenty of that in the mansion's library?"
"I'm hacking into the surveillance cameras around the school. It's unlikely that our mystery master left any clues but I may be able to find out who set up the soul-eating field."
"Alright, I'll come back right after. Stay alert."
"Aren't I always?"

After breaking into the surveillance room, Avantina looked around her, knowing that even though the school prioritized the safety of its students, the safekeeping of the passcode for the cameras was a slightly different matter.

Not as if they're expecting to catch some students involved in a magus war on film. Talk about having different extra-curricular activities.

Avantina smiled grimly, because she just so happened to be one of those students. She spotted a piece of paper with the password pinned to a board.

Bingo.

After trawling through multiple recordings, Avantina struck gold on a video from one week ago. The shadows of the night covered the skulking silhouette. The camera's visuals weren't great either, making it difficult to ascertain the perpetrator's identity.

Hmm. Let's try a little something.

There! The naked eye would have missed it but Avantina slowed down the tape and flicked through frame by frame. And she saw it.

Curly hair, average height, male build...

"Shinji?!"

Avantina quickly closed the tape, wiped her figure from the recordings and exited the room, leaving no trace of her presence there. Her focused eyes ran down the hallway as she considered her plans.

So that vermin is the one who planted the seals. The cameras couldn't catch his servant. No matter, I got what I needed.

"Yo."

Avantina halted in her tracks, her hand instinctively moving to the knife hidden under her skirt but stopped when she saw the shimmering haze before her. Blue hair, red spear.

"Here to kill me without first fighting my servant? Not very brave."
"No, but he was about to. I'm glad he hasn't made his move yet."
"What's that suppose to mean?"

As Avantina stalled for time, she focused all her energy into telepathically calling Archer.

"It's no use. I used a rune earlier to draw up a barrier, you can't get to him."

With the remarkable speed granted to the Lancer class, Avantina soon found herself struggling in the arms of the blue-haired servant.

"What the hell are you doing?!"
"I'm sorry, but this is for your own safety. Courtesy of your Sensei."

Sensei... Olivier? Bakana...

But Avantina had no more time to ponder the impossibility of his words before Lancer pressed one of the pressure points at her neck and sped away carrying the unconscious girl.