Chapter 4: Familial Resemblance

It was another day in the lives of Avantina and her servant. The young girl continued slipping in and out of her pensive moods, which often distracted her when she was doing other things. This was one of those times.

Avantina was hauling a box of old books and toys she had decided to shift to the basement. She took one cautious step after another down the staircase, until her mind began to meander.

At one point, her stride was too long and she lost her footing, landing on a cushion of air instead of marble. Avantina let out a scream as she toppled down the steps.

Diarmuid, who had been downstairs making breakfast, immediately dashed to her side to catch her. But the momentum and weight only propelled them further down the staircase. The box landed on one side and the duo lay flat on another.

"Master? Are you alright?" asked Diarmuid, too stunned to get up just yet.

She didn't reply. Then when the servant was beginning to worry, Avantina burst out in laughter, covering her eyes with slim fingers. It was as sad as it was mirthful.

Diarmuid was surprised. How was falling down a marble staircase in any way funny? But then for some reason, he too gave a loud chortle.

When the hysterics died down, Diarmuid heard his master sigh and turned sideways to look at her. Her eyes were fixed upon the ceiling, then she faced him.

"This is a disaster." chuckled Avantina.
She reached her hand across the gap to touch his.
"We're goanna be alright, aren't we?"
Their fingers interlaced partially and Diarmuid smiled.
"Yes."

That night, after Avantina's daily training, Diarmuid and his master went out in search for an opponent. Though Avantina had initially planned to wait for Lady Olivier's return before making any moves, she also realized that waiting for too long might put them at a disadvantage. After all, their enemies would certainly not be sitting quietly. As they walked by a jetty, Avantina stopped to look at the ocean. Diarmuid halted in his tracks and did the same.

He noticed that his master, like him, was especially fond of nature. So whenever they were out of the house, taking in the scenery was a habit. A palpable surge of energy caused Diarmuid to grip his master's arm. She didn't flinch.

"An enemy?"
"Yes, making known its presence eight hundred meters from here. It wishes to engage in battle."
"How kind of them. Shall we take up their offer?" she smiled.

Lancer nodded before swiftly picking her up and leaping towards their destination.

Not long after, Diarmuid set his master down on the gravel. It appears their enemy had lured them to a fairly secluded location. A figure emerged from the shadows of a docking container.

"We meet once again on the battlefield, servant Lancer."
"Saber. It is an honor to exchange blows with a knight of your bearing."
"The honor is mine. Now then," she drew her sword. "Shall we begin?"

What followed was a skillful match of two renowned warriors. Within an hour, Lancer had managed to sever the tendon in Saber's dominant arm while receiving a scratch to his face and a cut at his stomach. They encircled one another, considering their next course of action. Avantina took this time to ask.

"Servant Saber, if you were to die at the hands of Lancer, would you be satisfied?"
"A good death is its own reward."
Avantina lowered her head.
"So be it. Lancer, you are permitted to use your Noble Phantasm."
"Thank you, master. I shall not fail."
Then the two knights resumed their battle.

When the dual had ended, it had ended honorably, and Saber faded away with a smile on her face. The Lady Irisviel fell on her knees. Avantina made her way towards the homunculus.

Irisviel, wrought with grief, didn't bother to get up. If she was to die here, at least her demise would be at the hands of a dignified master. Elsewhere, Maiya pointed her sniper rifle at Avantina. Kiritsugu stopped her.

"No."
"But Madam-"
"I know her, she won't harm Iri."

Avantina halted in front of Irisviel, her tall figure looming over the weeping lady. She got down on her knees and held her close. While Irisviel mourned the loss of her servant, Avantina comforted her, her own tears falling to the ground.

"I'm sorry... I'm sorry..."

From above, Kiritsugu smiled in relief. He was right. The pair made their way down from the rooftop and fetched the vehicle they arrived with. In the meantime, Avantina helped Irisviel up to her feet. The homunculus smiled at her.

"Thank you, for giving Saber an honorable dual. And for sparing me. Thank you."
"You needn't thank me, I do not wish for unnecessary bloodshed."

Seeing Kiritsugu and another lady approaching them, Avantina handed her over to them. Maiya led Irisviel back to the car while Kiritsugu remained to speak with his niece.

"Thank you, for not hurting Iri."
"I didn't spare her for your sake. I did it because it was right."

Irisviel looked over her shoulder, she had heard everything. Given more time, Kiritsugu might've said something back, but Avantina certainly wasn't going to wait for that.

"Lancer."
"Yes, master?"
"Let's go."

Avantina turned around and walked towards her servant. After dematerializing his two spears, Diarmuid picked up his master and sped off into the night.

Kiritsugu walked back to the vehicle and got in. In the rear view mirror, he saw his wife with a pensive expression on her face. He would definitely have questions to answer when they got home.

The trio entered one of the rooms which before the death of Saber, had been utilized as a place to hold war counsels, so to speak. Maiya stood with a rigid posture at Kiritsugu's side, awaiting further instructions. He spoke firmly.

"Maiya, you are dismissed for the night, thank you."

With a nod, she left the room. After a few moments of silence, Irisviel finally voiced her thoughts.

"Anata, that girl you were speaking with, Lancer's master, she's your niece, is she not?"
"Yes." replied Kiritsugu, his eyes downcast.
"You know, she's so much like you. When she said that she didn't hurt me because it wasn't right. She doesn't want to cause needless pain. It reminds me of what you strive for in this war."

Kiritsugu didn't answer. Irisviel mustered the courage to ask.

"Why did you not raise her? You told me her parents died when she was still a young girl, didn't you?"
"When her mother and father died and she was left alone with no family, I was here making preparations for the coming war."
"But you are her family, how could you abandon her?"

Kiritsugu stood by the window, his back towards his wife as he gazed upon the white roses in the courtyard. Irisviel thought that she had overstepped her bounds and stared at her palms in silence.

"Iri."
She looked up.
"You know me. I chose the needs of the many over the needs of the few."

Irisviel never broached the subject again.