10 - Gargoyles and Mothers, Oh My!

How do you ask a God for a favor? Especially the one God who specifically doesn't do favors? Easy. You flirt.

Later that evening when Hades returned home I made my way into his room. "Hey..."

He stood in front of his closet, his shirt half way over his head when I barged in. He raised a brow at me, probably wondering why I was talking to him since we never did much talking to begin with. "What is it, kitten?"

"Uh... Can I ask a favor?" I spoke timidly. He smirked at the way I spoke, now curious as to what I had to say.

"I don't know if anyone told you, but we don't do favors in the underworld." Hades had completely pulled off his shirt, revealing his perfect chiseled body.

"I was just wandering if you could make an-"

"Make an exception for you?" I could hear the mocking in his voice as he spoke to me, but I ignored it.

"No... Just..." I sighed. "Nevermind."

Just as I turned to walk out he called for me. "Okay. What is it?"

I spun back to face him, a smile threatening to break into my face. I walked into the room, shutting the door behind me besides the fact that there was no on there to bother us. I bounced down onto his bed, making myself comfortable on my stomach. Hades watched me in amusement, walking towards the bed himself. He sat down at the end, waiting for me to speak.

"So... I was wondering if I could go see my mother?" I spoke so quietly at the last part. Hades face remained impassive, as if asking hadn't been that big of a deal.

"And what shall I receive for this favor?" There it was, the catch. I hadn't been expecting Hades to even consider it, I thought he would flat out say no. I looked over at him, his eyes low as he stared at me.

"I'll marry you."

♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡

My old home looked exactly how it had always looked. The two story white panel home that was on the older side with blue shutters on the Windows. My beloved garden had been well taken care of and each rose bush was blooming perfectly. Hades had snapped me there, telling me I only had one hour until he returned to get me. I took a deep breath as I stepped onto the porch, my belly pooling in nervousness. I knocked on the door hesitantly, waiting for my mother.

When she came to the door her reaction wasn't what I was expecting. I wasn't exactly sure what I was expecting, but this hasn't been it. She squinted, confused.

"Haven? Why are you here?" She gave me a weird look of disappointment.

"Why do you mean? I've been missing for weeks." I scrunched my face at her.

"I've known where you are." She rolled her eyes with an exasperated sigh. My eyes widened in surprise.

"You have?"

"Yes. Sinning and ruining your virtue so you can be Satan's whore." She hissed before slamming the door in my face. I was frustrated and confused.

I knocked on the door once more. "Mother, please!"

"you are not my child." She called back through the door. I felt tears prick at my eyes, turning around and stomping away from the door and sitting down on the steps. I set my face between my legs and tried to keep myself from crying. When I finally pulled my head back up I was sitting in the library back in the underworld. Hades sat in the chair besides mine, resting his chin on his fist while he watched my sorrow. He must of been use to this kind of thing- people crying over their loss. I felt so betrayed by my mother's rejection, but I mainly wanted to know how she knew.

"How?" Was all I could spit out. Hades sighed, leaning back in the seat.

"When someone's soul is traded for another, I am required to tell them. It is one of the rules. Usually they're sad and try to trade back for the loved one, but your mother is another story." He reached out, pushing a stray piece of hair behind my ear. "When she was informed by one of my... Servents, her reaction made me regret allowing the trade."

"What did she say?" I mumbled, wiping the embarrassing tears from my eyes. Hades looked away from me, an emotion in his face that I could barely recognize. Was that sympathy?

He simply reached over and pressed a finger to my forehead and the flashback began.

❁ ❁ ❁ ❁ ❁ ❁

The gargoyle appeared in the corner of the room, and Crystal glared at the beast. It had horns and the face of a dog, with wings like a bat. The messengers of the God of the Underworld.

"What do you want?" She narrowed her eyes at the beast. Had they finally came to take her soul? After all of that time she had spent in hiding the God had finally found her. She reached for the candlestick besides on the mantle, ready to defend herself. Her soul wasn't going anywhere without a fight.

"The great Lord, has come to collect." The gargoyle's voice sounded the nails on a chalkboard. "But a trade was made."

"A trade?!" Crystal screeched, immediately heading for the staircase. What had that naive daughter of hers done now? Before she could reach the staircase the gargoyle spoke again.

"She's already gone. He has already come to collect." He mocked the older woman. "Sweet girl, traded her soul in exchange for yours. What a mistake, wouldn't you say?"

"That idiot!" Crystal hissed, throwing the candlestick at the gargoyle who easily dodged it. Crystal sat down on the couch, in anger. "Better her than me though. I'm sure she's just your Lords type too. Innocent and pure. Anything to make him feel like he isn't pure evil."

"So you do not want to plead your case for her back?" The gargoyle was confused by her reaction, never knowing a mother to so easily give up her child.

"No. He can keep the little slut."

I was in tears. I couldn't believe that had been my mother. She had always been so cold towards me, but seeing it from another view made it even worse. I couldn't hold back my sobs, quickly jumping up from where I stood and made my way out into the hallway and into my bedroom. I collapsed into the bed, sobbing into the pillow, wetting it with my tears.

I felt my hair being brushed back and my back being rubbed as I cried, knowing immediately that Hades was there besides me. It felt so strange to have the God of the underworld in my bed comforting me for being upset about my mother hating me for being involved with the God of the Underworld.

"I feel so heart broken. aren't mothers suppose to love you unconditionally?" spilling my soul out to him hasn't been exactly how I wanted to spend my time with the God.

"I wouldn't know." He murmured, laying back against the headboard. I scooted closer to him, enjoying the warmth that radiated off of him. It was probably a weird sight, a tiny human girl, crying, pressed against Hades as he comforted her.