"Dauntless is not known for its speeches, but I'm willing to make an exception this time. Candice, you are the definition of Dauntless. After watching your progress in first stage of initiation, hearing your back story and surviving a gruesome battery, you have made it back with good conditions. You may be the bravest, strongest, courageous person I have ever known. Those are qualities of a true Dauntless and that is why we have decided to let you stay."

After his speech everyone started clapping and cheering again. I had tears in my eyes and Four squeezed my hand. People I didn't know came up to me and told me have sorry they were for what happened, how brave they thought I was and how happy they were that I was alive. I only smiled and thanked them. All this attention made me overwhelmed, I just wanted to leave. This was the reason why I didn't want people to know my story, the pity in people's eyes when they looked at me and all the things they must be thinking. If I had been able to walk, I would've been out of there in a second. To my delight, I didn't have to wait too long before Eric came up to us and asked if I wanted to leave. When I nodded, Four stepped away to let Eric lift me up in his arms the way Four had done earlier and carried me out of the dining hall while people watched us with confused looks. I could only imagine what they must have thought.

"How are you feeling?" Eric asked me.

"I'm fine."

"No pain?"

"Not at the moment. I took a pill before I left the infirmary."

"Good. Let me know when the pain starts."

"Okay." I ended the conversation and then rested my head on his chest while he carried me up to his apartment.

When we arrived, he fished out his keys and opened the door. His apartment was cold and I instantly started to shiver. Eric's apartment was cold but I could understand why, Eric was a walking radiator, he was always hot. His body heat radiated warmth to my body and I pressed myself closer to his body for more. He carried me to his bedroom, laid me down under the cover and sat down and looked at me.

"Are you cold?"

"A little. It's very cold in here."

"You think?"

"Yes, not everyone is a walking radiator." He laughed and stroked my cheek.

"It'll feel better soon. I have to go get your clothes, but I'll be back in a bit."

"Well, I'll be here waiting." I said sarcastically, which made him laugh. He bent forward and kissed my forehead before he left to get my clothes.

I must have fallen asleep because the next thing I knew, I smelled something delicious and I heard loud noises from outside the room. I tried to pull myself up but pain shot through my back and I screamed in agony before lying back down with tears forming in my eyes. Eric burst through the door not long after with panic clear in his eyes.

"What happened?"

"I tried to move." I said half panting. Eric breathed out and walked out of the room. He came back a few seconds later with a glass of water and a pill in hand.

"Here, take this. Dinner is soon ready." Eric handed me the pill and then he helped me with the water. You just had to love Erudite scientists sometimes, those pills worked like a charm and had an instant effect. Eric went back to the kitchen to finish the dinner, and I wondered what he had made. I didn't even knew he could cook. He came back, picked me up and carried me out to the living room where he sat me down on the couch. Then he went to the kitchen, took out two plates, glasses and cutlery. Set them down on the coffee-table before going to get the dinner and beverage.