21

"Liz?" I said before stepping out of the car. "Oh Codie!" She sighed before throwing her arms around me. She was crying into my shoulder. "What's wrong ,what's happened?" I asked in a serious tone, starting to get worried. She wiped her eyes and took a couple of deep breaths. "It's Luke…He's missing…He left the day before yesterday and I haven't seen him since, and… I just don't know what to do!" She broke down into my arms again. I stared at the road in shock. "Where did he say he was going when he left?" I asked. "To visit you, to help you settle in… Speaking of which, why aren't you there right now?" She said as she moved away, wiping her eyes. "It wasn't right for me" I confessed. "That's such a shame, Luke was so excited for you. That's why as soon as we got home he packed new clothes and drove all the way to the college to see you. He really loves you that boy, would not stop talking about you the whole time we were away. I know he doesn't show it very well, but you've got to believe me…" She sighed. I dropped my head, if only she knew what her son was really like. I tried to change the subject as quickly as I could. "Do you think he's staying with a friend or something?" I asked. "I've checked with all of the boys and all of his school friends, no one has seen or heard from him." "What about… An ex-girlfriend?" I said, dropping hints, wanting to see if she knew anything. She let out a light laugh, "Don't be silly, he hasn't spoken to her in years." I raised my eyebrows. "I don't blame her" I said under my breath. "What did you just say?" Liz said, looking at me in surprise. "Well, I'm not surprised they haven't spoken in years… He cheated on her after all." "What?" She said in even more surprise. "Didn't you know?" "Forgive me Codie, I'm his mother and I've known him much longer than you have. I think you're the one who doesn't know…" I looked at her curiously. "Come inside, I'll make a cup of tea and I'll tell you everything. Then we'll go for one last look together and if nothing, then it's time we should take it to the police." I walked into the house, the phone surrounded by pieces of paper with numbers, names and various notes. Several empty mugs on the kitchen side table. "I'm sorry about the mess, I've just…Been in another world" Liz said. "It's fine… I bet it's been horrible…" I said as I sunk down into the seat. "You couldn't even imagine" She said as she put the kettle on. I tapped my fingers on the table, feeling a bit on edge. She poured the tea into the cups and placed one in front of me, and one in front of herself as she sat down. "Now sweetheart, it's time you found out the truth." 

I placed my hands on the edge of the table, shoving my chair back as I stood up. "Codie…Where are you going?" Liz called after me as I stormed out of the room. "I know where he is! I'll phone you as soon as I've found him!" I cried back before running to  my car. "First I need to pay someone else a quick visit."  I slammed my foot down on the pedal and drove to the football field near our school. I quickly walked over to the field, heading for Jason and his little group. "Baby, I knew you'd come around!" He cried, rising his arms in the air. I screwed my face up, as I lifted my hand close to his face, about so slap against his raw skin, but his hand gripped round my wrist, stopping me. "I wouldn't do that if I were you." "Get your hands off me" I said through gritted teeth. He shook his head with a disgusting smirk. "You're mine now." His friends did wolf whistles amongst laughter. I looked down at the ground, focusing on my boots. Within seconds I threw my foot up to Jason's crotch, kicking it hard enough for him to release me. "You little bitch!" He shouted, grabbing it with both hands. "Love you Jason!" I smiled before running back to my car. I glanced out of my window as Jason shouted at his friends who were trying their hardest not to laugh at him suffering in pain. I drove down several streets until I parked outside an empty parking lot. I closed the door as I stepped out, and looked over at the abandoned newsagents. I ran over to the bins, and climbed up to the flat roof. I slowly wandered over to the boy who was sat crossed legged, with his knees to his chin, staring over at the city lights. "You told me that this is where I would find you if I needed you…" Luke's head sharply turned to look at me. "And I've never needed you more than right now." I said, on the verge of tears. 

"I thought you hated me" Luke muttered. I knelt down beside him, getting a closer look at his swollen eyes and sore lips. "I never hated you Luke, I just hated what we had become, what our relationship had become…I was told a lie, a spiteful lie which blinded me and caused me to almost lose you. I know the truth now. I hope you can forgive me?" A little smile broke out on Luke's face. "Of course I can" He kissed my lips before I placed my head on his shoulder. "Can I talk to you about it? I've never spoken to anyone about it before?" He asked. "I'm all ears…" I smiled, rubbing my hand up and down his arm. "She said she was at her grandparents for the weekend, but one night whilst she was meant to be away, I walked past her house and her bedroom light was on with the curtains closed. And I could see her silhouette, and then another joined, throwing their body onto hers. I looked down at the car which was parked in front of the house, and it was Jason's car…My best friend cheated on my girlfriend. My first real best friend with my first girlfriend, it couldn't get worse than that…" Luke said, his voice shaking. I looked up at him, his eyes flickering with tears on the edge of his eye lids. "I'm sorry Luke…" I sighed. He laughed a little, "Don't be…The best thing happened because of it…" I looked at him, my eyebrows frowning. "You!" He smiled before pressing his lips against my forehead.