+++++++++++++++++

“Emily.” I nodded addressing her. 

We were at an Italian restaurant not too far from the main streets of London. It was a small place, with about ten tables. The air smelled of bread and wine with a hint of basil, classic Italian food. The table that she was sat at was next to the window, hinting that she wanted to be seen. The dark walls of the room made it feel even more eerie, with only the candles lit on each table that provided light.

"What is she doing here?” Emily stated bitterly eyeing me from her seat. 

“She is my girlfriend. Plus, you never told me to come alone.” Niall mischievously smirked down to her. 

She sighed and gestured to the seats across from her. We sat down and she sipped her iced tea, glaring at me over the rim of the glass. Earlier this evening when Niall and I were sitting on the porch swing, he offered if I wanted to go. Seemed appropriate, I am able to understand this situation more clearly and also make sure she doesn’t try anything with Ni.

“So, I beat you?” Niall asked while keeping a stern face. 

“Well, you’re not wasting any time.” She noticed, setting her glass down.

“The sooner you explain, the sooner I won’t have to sit here with you.” She raised her eyebrows, stunned by his admission. I just want her to get on with it as well.

“Emily, explain this please.” I was loosing my patience. 

“No, you weren't the one that beat me.” She stated simply.

“So who did?” I interrupted.

She sighed and finally started to explain. "I owe someone some money. I've been trying to pay him back for a few months now, but when I missed the deadline, he came after me. I was at home cooking some dinner and he smashed down my door. Before I knew it, he was throwing punches left and right, kicking me while I was on the floor. He left me there, broking bones and bruised up skin, I thought I was going to die." She was staring off at the leather booth I was sitting on, remembering the horrific night. She looked back up at us, ready to go on. "He said I'm lucky he didn't kill me right then and there. He would give me four months to get the rest of the money or he'll come back and finish what he started." She swallowed and looked between the both of us to see our reaction.

"How much money do you need to give to him?" Niall spoke up, but it sounded like a whisper.

"Forty grand left. The origional was fifty." She explained.

"How did you get the other ten thousand?" I questioned.

"While I was with your boyfriend, he would give me money to go out. Instead, I would save the money and get more through other things." I gestured for her to explain. "I slept with people, made about $500 a night."

I was stunned. She became a prostitute for her side job. And worse, she was doing this while still being with Niall. This money issue must be really serious. Although I started to pity her, what was the reason she needed to give this guy money?

"This all happened after we broke up?" Niall asked.

"We broke up and then about four days later, he came for me at my house."

"Why do you owe this man money in the first place?" I was still trying to wrap my head around all this.

"I can't tell you. If I did, he would be after the two of you and I don't want my problems to affect anyone else. Trust me, this guy knows his way around. He is not someone to take lightly." She looked scared, something I've never seen from her.