31 - Bare Skin and Nerves

Chapter 31 - Bare Skin and Nerves

[Recap: The night Ben is banished, Newt and Wendy become a lot closer after Wendy sings and dances with and to him, Newt slowly starting to feel something for the girl in front of him after realizing that she was a second chance.]

Wendy wasn't one to sleep in when there was work to do, but in this case, since almost her entire right leg was seared and her body was sore from almost being killed, she really didn't care.

It was mid-day as far as she could tell, the sound of Gladers building and talking echoing in through the open windows. Wendy yawned and sat up, her hair blowing up behind her. Immediately, she felt a pain in the right side of her body from when she slammed into the wall; Wendy winced and held the spot with her hand as she stood up.

It took awhile to do so, but when she did, she was already exhausted. She yawned again and threw her hair in a bun before limping forward, using her left leg for support as she rubbed her eyes. She trailed over to the window and looked outside, and she was completely right. It was mid-day. She could tell because Jeff looked up at her and rolled his eyes.

"Oh look, the princess woke up." he said sarcastically before looking down at his wrist watch, "And it's only 3:47. Amazing, you're up so early." he lied, and it took all of Wendy's willpower to not through a hammer at him.

"Oh shut up, shank." she insulted before flipping him off and walking away. She shook her head and chuckled as she descended down the stairs with much difficultly. Just as Wendy was about to fall over, she grabbed ahold of a large, thin, plank of wood by a pile of trash and used it to hobble her way out of Homestead.

She soon spotted Newt near the east door, his body hunched over near someone else and two others watching him. She couldn't seem to catch his attention when she walked over, relying on her makeshift cane for support to even stand. It took awhile, but once she was in shouting distance. Thomas looked up and saw her.

He seemed to catch the drift that she was struggling and quickly stood up, seeming to stop mid conversation as he made his way over to her. Newt, and who looked like Zart, and Chuck, all snapped their head at Thomas, curious about his sudden movements before their eyes landed on Wendy. Newt immediately dropped whatever he was holding and began walking over there, but Zart stopped him once he noticed Thomas had  reached her already.

"Need help?" he asked her, sending her a calm smile, a knowing one, before she nodded and groaned.

"I am dying." she exaggerated as Thomas threw an arm around her waist and helped her over to where they were sitting, ridding of the dumb plank. "I can't even bloody walk."

Thomas laughed and shook his head before laying the brunette down on the log. She sent him a thank you before turning her attention to Newt who evidently grinned at her before saluting, which caused Wendy to salute back.

"I hope I didn't interrupt anything important." she stated, and Zart waved her off.

"Thomas is just worried—"

"About what?" Wendy intruded.

Chuck butted in before Newt could even speak, "Alby went into the Maze this morning." he said, and Wendy frowned.

"Why would Alby go in the Maze?" she asked curiously.

"That's what I'm asking." Thomas grumbled, and Wendy rolled her eyes.