12 - Newbie

Chapter 12 - Newbie

[Recap: Minho finds and then shows Wendy different phrases carved into the doors saying that Isabella was still alive and that Wendy was going to die. The following day of this new discovery, Wendy falls ill and finds a hole in her side, her having no idea where that had come from. During this, Minho tells Newt and Wendy that the phrases he found on the doors were now gone.]

-

I watched from the small bed I was in out the window as Minho showed Newt the exact spot where he had found the marks. I could see in the distance Newt trace his hand over the blank wall, his head titled to the side as Minho explained.

At first, I had thought that Newt wouldn't believe Minho, especially if he couldn't see it for himself and all of a sudden it had disappeared. But then I realized that the two had been best friends for two years and had gone through a lot lately. That and Minho wouldn't lie about anything involving Isabella.

The thought of a girl being here before me still seemed incredibly unreal. I don't know why, but just the thought of Newt being with someone was unrealistic because of his new personality. And then it hit me in the head that Newt wasn't always like this. Hell, I wasn't here for past Newt, but I sure did miss whoever he used to be.

Minho told me he was very nice in the start, gentle, and sweet, but broken, yet still kind. He was always there, watching out for everyone but himself. He had told me that Newt had done something in the first couple weeks he had arrived at the Maze, but Minho wouldn't tell me. Said it was too personal and that too many memories would come up if I ever asked. I still wonder what happened to him that caused him to be even more broken than he already was but still be kind. Now that I think of it, Newt was already broken in the start and Isabella's death just broke him more.

Minho says that Newt used to play around with the Gladers but still worked hard. He said one time Isabella and Newt and Minho played a game where one would hide and the other would look. He said Newt and Bella would stay up late and Newt would attempt drawing her and Isabella would laugh and correct him. He said that he could hear them from downstairs, laughter at all hours of the night and in the morning, when Minho would go wake them up, they would be asleep on the floor, pencils and scraps of paper littering their bodies from the night before. How Newt was always smiling and would work with her in the gardens the entire day. How Newt was happy again for the first time since the beginning.

And I realized something last night as he told me all of these things. I realized that I envied Isabella.

I want to be close to Newt like Isabella was. I want to stay up late with him and crack jokes at all hours of the night. I want to be close to him like Isabella was. All I want is that.

I sigh as I see Newt shake his head before turning away from Minho and walking towards the weapons shack.

Newt was growing on me, and I didn't like that. He was a rude, and obnoxious, and an annoying boy who was broken and lost. I was appealed by his broken state, and I missed how he was before. I wanted to see that Newt; the way he was when Isabella was here. Maybe that's why he was growing on me. I liked the old Newt and I wanted that Newt back, but at the same time, I wanted to help and fix the broken version of him too.

My head snaps to the door as Minho saunters in, his hand rubbing his arm. I examine his face, and besides the purple bruise he had on his eye from me punching him, he looked pretty okay.

"So," I clear my throat, "how'd he take it?"

Minho shrugs and sits on the bed, his shoulder brushing against mine. "He believed me. Said that it had to be the creators, that things can't just randomly disappear. I agree with him. It's too un-natural for a Glader to do that. Maybe just another trick." he explains, placing a hand on his bruised eye before hissing in pain.

I grab his hand and move it away from his eyes before examining it, "I'm really sorry you know?"

He lets a small smile form on his face before swinging an arm around me and pulling me into his side. "If someone else had done it, they would've been dead by now, shank."

I chuckle and shift underneath his grip before snuggling into his warm side. "Aren't I lucky." I joke before placing a hand on my side where Jeff had stitched the hole up.

"The new greenie is coming today, right?" I ask him.

Minho nods yes, "Let's see if it's another girl or boy. None of us know now."

As the hours pass by, Minho talks about how he was exploring section three and had found some discarded clothes. They were white and covered in dirt, seeming to have been there for a long time as he says. Seeing as though they've banished multiple people for many reasons, it could just be their remains. But at the same time, section three had just opened.

Suddenly, the sirens of the box sounded throughout the Glade and Minho stood up. Today, he was allowed to not run because of the new greenie, and because he was in charge of watching me as said by Alby since he was also told about the marks on the wall.

"I'll be right back." he says before kissing the top of my head. I nod and watch as he leaves, jogging along with everyone else to the box.

I watch from the window as they pull a small frame up and out of the box. The figure was small and plump and I let a sigh of relief leave my body as I realize it was a boy.

Soon, the door to the medical room opens and the small frame of a boy is brought in. I watch closely as his chubby face comes into view. The poor kid looked torn, confused, and scared. Jeff, who was laughing at something, leads the boy to another bed where he's fed and slapped on the back multiple times.

Minho walks over to me, a chuckle leaving his lips and by the site of this, I laugh too even though I had no idea what was going on.

"Why are you laughing?" I ask him as he sits on my right side.

"Kid klunked his pants in fear, that's why it took forever to get him here." he chuckles again.

I roll my eyes and nudge him, "Don't be hard on him. He looks twelve at the least, probably scared out of his mind. Don't need to make it worse."

I watch as the boy looks around the room, a twisted look on his face before his eyes land on me.

"It's a girl." I hear him whisper to Jeff. Jeff's head turns to me and his face turns into a smile.

"Sure is a girl."

"But you said there were only boys." he whispers back, his eyes wide and unaware of what had been happening lately.

"For an exception for a girl," I announce back at him before grinning and looking at Minho briefly and then turning back to the boy, "Names Wendy. And you?"

The boys face goes blank before he lets a word slip out of his mouth, "Chuck."

.

.

.

.

Chucks here, yay!

and you guys got a look into Wendy's thoughts, how do you feel about her starting to like newt? Any opinions? and who's clothes do you think were in the maze?

make sure to vote and comment feedback, always love seeing your comments!

until next time, I hope you enjoyed!

~ Celeste xx