28 - Waking Up and Bad News

Chapter 28 - Waking up and Bad News

[Recap: Wendy recalls some memories that show her that before her and Newt entered the maze, they were in love with each other, but since Isabella went up, Wendy was forced to watch Bella fall in love with her boyfriend, but was thankfully sent up for another chance with her first love after the blonde supposedly died.]

_

"You gave me a right scare there, shank. You know, I'm this bloody close to punching you because you keep making me think I'm going to lose your shucking annoying face. That was the billionth time I thought you were going to die."

Wendy chuckled at Newt's words, trying to push aside the memories she had just shockingly recalled. She yawned and sat up, with the help of the blonde of course, before rubbing her eyes and smiling.

"You're not losing me that quickly." she told him, trying to sound happy, but it didn't pass off easily since she pressed her fingers to her head, feeling a headache come on from all the new information.

Newt frowned at this, his eyes gazing at her frustrated state, and he could easily tell something was wrong. "Wendy? Are you okay?" he asked her softly, his hands itching to grab hers to comfort her.

The brunette licked her lips, trying to brush off the information she knew, but she could already tell that Newt was going to find out either way, yet she still tried to lie. He wouldn't believe her. Why would he? 'Oh hey Newt, I got some memories back, did you know we used to love each other before the maze? Also did you know that you never liked Bella and that she took you away from me? Hey, did you also that there's a chance she's alive?' Definitely not the way to go.

"Oh nothing." she lied bitterly, "Just— just some pain from when I hit the wall. But that doesn't really matter, is Ben okay?"

A look of knowing passed across Newt's face, and this time, he did grab her hand, knowing that Wendy was going to be upset when she found out. "Wendy..."

The girl straightened up, and her voice sharpened at his tone. "What happened to him?"

Newt couldn't lie to her, he just couldn't, there was something he couldn't put his finger on that held him back from doing so. "Wendy, he came back before you did and he attacked Thomas. He—he was stung, he's going to be banished today."

Wendy was at loss for words, feeling a part of her break since she was friends with the guy. She knew he was stung, but she thought there would be a cure at least.

"Banished?" she breathed out, a soft downpour of tears falling down her face. "Today?"

Newt clenched her hand harder before pulling her in for a hug, letting the girl cry into his shoulder. His hand was tangled in her hair, holding her there as the other wrapped around the small girls figure. Her fingers were wrapped in his shirt before he spoke, needing to know everything or else he would go insane if he didn't.

"Wendy, can you tell me what you remembered?"

The girl stopped crying immediately, sucking in a deep breath before she spoke. "How, how'd you know?"

"I can tell by your face," he spoke softly, watching as Wendy pulled back and looked him in the eye, "you seem different, like you remembered something important. Can you tell me?"