10 - Bruised and Scared

Chapter 10 - Bruised and Scared

[Recap: After spending the day with Minho, Wendy heads to sleep before waking up startled and scared when a hand appears on her throat.]

-

My first reaction was to slap my hand over the one on my throat, but the culprits hand held both of my arms down, making me vulnerable and weak and unable to protect myself at all.

I felt his stance over me as he moved one of his hands to my mouth and held my left arm down with his knee forcefully.

"Be quiet." the voice hissed quietly, the sound low and demanding and unrecognizable, "We can't let anyone hear us, Wendy."

The fear welled in my stomach as he spoke quietly, but I couldn't just sit here hopeless, I had to do something.

The weight was lifted off of my body for a split second and I immediately reached up and punched the sucker in the face.

"Shit!" he yells quietly. I could see his hand immediately go up to his eye in the shadow of the dim sky light, and that's when I noticed his features.

"Minho? Is that you?" I asked him as I crawled out of my bed, rubbing my throat from the small bruise I could feel forming from his strong and rough hands. When I scrambled to my feet, I put my hands to his face in a panic mode, "Are you okay? Oh my god, did I hit you really hard?"

"I'm fine." he grumbles, "It'll go away, just follow me."

"But I feel bad- wait, why did you wake me up? I could be sleeping right now you loser." I say and punch him again, but in the arm of course, and pull my other hand away from his face.

"Just follow me, shank. It's important. I wouldn't be waking you up if it wasn't. And trust me, this is important." he tells me as he uses the hand that's not covering his eye to intertwine our fingers together and tug me after him.

"Okay fine, I'll go with you. But you owe me." I say quietly.

"Owe you? For what?" he asks as he pulls me past the sleeping kids that had no idea what we were up to. "You're the one punching me in the face."

"For scaring the shit out of me by putting your hand on my throat; I think I'm forming a bruise you know, and I punched you because I was scared."

Minho snorts and drags me faster, "Just shut up and follow me."

I roll my eyes and catch up to him, squeezing his hand harder because I was cold as shit. As we walk quickly to whatever the destination was, I feel a sense of dread overcome me as we near the closed doors of the Maze.

"What are we doing here, Minho?" I ask quietly as he lights a torch swiftly. I move closer to him, seeking warmth as the dread turns to fear in an instant.

"I was running back today from section 7." he starts off as he looks down at me, "Before I went to dinner though, I found this."

He lifts the torch in front of us and above us and I gasp as I see what he wanted to show me.

The entrance was scratched all over the place, but not just lines, no, the scratches and marks spelled out words and phrases.

"Oh my god." I breathe out as my eyes scan the large markings with fear and curiosity. 

"The original lives, the replacement will die."

"THE ORIGINAL LIVES." 

"WENDY MUST DIE."

"I'M COMING."

"I'M COMING FOR YOU AND WICKED, WENDY. I WILL BE BACK."

I hold onto Minho's arm in fear as he hugs me closer, swaying the torch back and forth so I could read everything on the wall.

"THE ORIGINAL."

I look at Minho for a second, watching his facial expressions remain at confused and worried before turning back to the wall, "Do you think....?"

"No." he immediately replies before meeting my broken gaze, "I saw her; we saw her go off the cliff and fall into nothing. She isn't alive, this has to be someone else. Isabella's dead."

"THE ORIGINAL LIVES, THE REPLACEMENT MUST DIE."

I nod in agreement and wrap my free arm around myself, "But who? I mean, this is crazy. I thought you said when Isabella was alive, everyone was trying to kill her." 

"DEATH, DEATH, DEATH, DEATH FOR THE REPLACEMENT."

"They were. It doesn't make sense." he breathes out, rubbing his temples in stress and disbelief before brining the torch down to our level and pulling it away from the wall. "We can figure this out later tomorrow. Gotta show Alby and Newt for sure because this is insane." 

"WENDY WILL DIE."

I nod and pull him back. I had enough of this already and I was tired as hell. I definitely don't need to deal with that now, Minho either. He needs rest from this hellhole.

"Come on, lets go back. We need sleep, you have to run all day tomorrow and I have to deal with Newt." I grumble as we walk side by side back to Homestead, Minho chuckling at my lame joke.

 I was surprised no one had woken up and had seen our small light by the wall; Newt and Alby would have flipped if they saw that we were awake at all hours of the night.

Minho follows me back, his eyes drooping as well, but as I'm walking, I see a red light pass right by me, making me stop abruptly.

My eyes follow the light as it runs away and I look at Minho confused when it disappears.

"Where'd it go? What was that?" I ask him as I watch more appear by bushes and on top of branches, eyeing us carefully as I could tell.

"They're beetle blades. Always been around those shanks. They watch us." he explains as we stop by my hammock, the night still young and dark, "They've always been here, we just don't question it."

I furrow my brows but slowly step into my hammock, grabbing the blanket from the floor and dusting it out before throwing it over me for warmth, "This place is strange."

Minho quietly chuckles before pulling my blanket over my shoulders, "The strangest. Get some sleep, Wendy."

I smile at him through the darkness before dropping my head to my small makeshift pillow, watching as Minho makes his way upstairs quietly and without sound. I turn over when he disappears, letting my eyes droop before closing them fully.

But that didn't stop me from seeing the flash of golden hair in the distance.

.

.

.

.

was it newt, was it bella? the world may never know

whilst writing this, i listened to i need u by btw lmao I'm Korean trash bye

make sure to vote and comment feedback: who do you think it was in the distance? Newt or Bella? And the still changing question, do you like wendy or isabella better? leave your choice and guess below!

until next time, hope you enjoyed, bye!

~ Celeste xx