Chapter 10. Tears.

Jackson and I sat at the dark wooden table in the cream coloured kitchen, thinking about yesterday. After burying Grandma Rose in the backyard, under her favourite tree (the place where she used to read me fairytales all the time when I was little), we sat down and he comforted me through the many tears that followed.  

Then, that night, we laid on the bed together, side by side. Not doing anything. Not saying anything. Just looking up. Not knowing what to do.

“You know we have to to something about this.” I murmured, looking across the table, at him. He nodded, standing up and started walking around the room.

“So what do we know?” I asked, tapping a pen against the blank page of my notebook. 

“The demons want to kill Shadow Angels.” Jackson said, looking at me cautiously. At any mention of yesterday, I had burst into tears. I bit my lip and nodded, scratching the sentence on the top of the page.  

“And they want to possess the soulless humans and rule the world” I added, quoting the demon’s last couple of words towards me before it was destroyed by a pinch of salt. I scratched that down underneath and looked up to see Jackson watching me, a grin on his face. 

“What?” I asked, watching as his grin grew bigger.

“You’re just so cute when you’re concentrating.” he mumbled, blushing.

I felt my face grow hot as I looked back down at the paper.

“Um, well, wha... what else do we know?” I managed to pronounce, trying not to reveal  how happy I was just from him calling me ‘cute’.

‘Hold on, Christopher told me heaps about Shadow Angels when I was little, I might have written it down in my diary. I’ll be back in a sec...” I said, and with that, ran to my room and grabbed the leather bound book from my top draw. I held it to my chest and ran back to Jackson, who was studying the pictures of me and my grandma when I was little. I blushed as he picked up one and brought it to the table. 

I looked at it and my face grew hotter. It was me, when I was five, with long pigtails on either side of my face. That was the morning of my first day at school. A huge grin was on my face as Grandma Rose hugged me tightly, slightly creasing my checkered dress. I pulled my concentration back to my old diary. I quickly flipped through the pages until I finally found what I was looking for. 

27th October 2006

Dear Diary,

Today Chris and I met up again, and he told me everything he knew about Shadow Angels. I’ll write down what I remember...

Shadow Angels are the offspring of demons and angels

They live in the roots of trees until they are needed.

Shadow Angels travel faster than the speed of light to newly born soulless human or animal bodies and give them personality and soul.

The Shadow Angels follow only one of their parents paths of life, and in the end they end up as a fully developed demon or angel in Heaven or Hell.

That’s all I remember, and I was trying to make it sound like Christopher said it (he speaks in an olden way)

I’ve got to go to sleep now, so goodnight!

Love Scarlet

“This is it!” I yelled and Jackson practically fell out of his chair. Ok, so I may have startled him a little bit. I pushed the book towards him and he read through it much quicker than I had. 

“Ok, so we know that as well... so how are we going to stop this?” Jackson asked, bookmarking the page and closing it gently. I stood up and walked around the room, confused. Suddenly, a question popped into my mind. 

“Jackson.” I mumbled. 

“Mmmm..” he said, captivated by the photo of little me.

“Shadow Angels give you soul and personality. But we don’t have Shadow Angels. So what are we? Soulless beings?” I asked, walking over to the mirror. Jackson stood up and walked over to me. I looked at my reflection and screamed.