I realized after a second's delay that he was actually expecting a response. I grinned cynically; finally glad to say what I have been wanting to for years. I cleared my throat before speaking. "Yes sir there is a problem. I-"

"Reid don't." I winced visibly from receiving a mind link from my father. I hated the sound of his voice in my head. His voice was brass and uninviting; not something pleasant to listen to.

"You'll have to excuse me; I need to get some air." I stated instead. "I'm feeling a bit lightheaded." I excused myself and made my way outside. I felt their eyes on me but that did nothing to stir me. I heard lighter footsteps behind me and I smiled knowing Matt was behind me, backing me up. We both walked outside the hotel where the setting of the meeting was taking place.

"Thanks for coming outside." I dug in my pocket pulling out a pack of cigarettes and lighter.

"Hey I thought you stopped," Matt narrowed his eyes. I felt the disapproval rolling off of his voice in waves. He once overheard me tell Cara that I would stop smoking.

"I did," I said lighting one up, "but I really don't think I can handle this meeting without one." I said honestly. It was a bad habit I picked up five years ago. I knew Cara didn't like smokers because it reminded her of Steven, so I was trying to cut back for her sake. Besides, it wasn't as if I was an addict. I only smoked about two or three times a month when I was feeling especially tense. This was only my first time this month.

We both went in search for a bench to sit on and landed three blocks away from the hotel. I looked around but the streets were practically empty, only a few people including Matt and I dotted them.

"I can't believe you man, walking out like that, how hard was it to just apologize and let them go on with their dam meeting." Matt chastised. He was really letting me have it. I stared at him disbelieving.

"Like you should talk, you followed me out here, you could have stayed." I countered. "In fact this wouldn't have happened if you hadn't laughed." I stood up letting the cigarette fall from my hand to the ground and I stepped on it with my shoe. Matt and I started heading back but I was purposely delaying. The damp air out here was definitely more comfortable than that in the meeting room.

"Well I'm your beta, it's my job to look after you, you think I do this because I actually like you?." Matt laughed. "If you do then you're obviously deluded." Matt slowed his steps to match mine.

"What's not to like," I asked pretending to be wounded by his remark.

"Well for starters you're moody, stubborn, and you have a really bad habit of-"

I cut him off mid-sentence. "You know what I'm sorry I asked." I let out an exhausted sigh, running my hand through my hair. Only three more hours till I can get out of here. I wanted desperately to see my mate and that kept me going for now. I had the strangest desire to put my head in her lap while she ran her hands through my hair. I had never felt this way about anyone and it equally terrified and relieved me. I was starting to believe I'd never regain the ability to feel something for another person.

Still I felt like giving Matt a hard time so I messed around a bit more. "You know Matt, I can still decide to name Max as my beta, so say another word, I dare you." I warned.

"You suck." He muttered. Matt knew I wasn't as mad as I was letting on, but still he responded with a light punch on my shoulder. We walked wordlessly back to the hotel. We left for at most fifteen minutes, but we returned to open animosity between the packs at the meetings and us. You could cut the tension with a knife. I held my father's gaze as we sat down, he did not look happy. He never looked happy but in this moment he looked especially angry.