Maybe

"Maybe we'll live happily ever after" Connor encouraged Troye, holding his hand as Troye sat on the hospital bed, in pain. "Maybe you'll get out of here. We can get married, have kids, live our lives and live happily ever after, Troye." 

Troye smiled at Connor and listened to Connor's plans for the future. 

"We could get a little house on the hill. We can adopt children. God, Troye, we can have cats and dogs and whatever your little heart desires." Connor was trying to stay strong for Troye as he spoke. "We can have bookshelves upon bookshelves full of records. We can have lazy sunday's and family fridays. It'll be so much fun." 

Troye smiled, squeezing Connor's hands. The door clicked open as the doctors walked in, informing Connor that it was time to say goodbye to Troye before he would be taken into surgery. "Maybe" Troye squeaked out. "I l-love you, Con" Troye managed to say, right before the doctors took him out of the room.

Connor ran up from the chair and out of the door, telling Troye "I love you too" right before he was taken into surgery. 

__

Connor waited in the waiting room all night as the doctors did whatever the fuck they had to do to keep Troye's heart from failing. Connor couldn't concentrate. He tried reading, sleeping, and eating, but nothing was working to calm his nerves. He needed Troye to pull through. He needed this future, cause right now, he couldn't see spending the rest of his life with anyone else. 

Then finally at 1:12AM, the doctor walked in. Connor shot up out of his seat and made his way ti the doctor. The doctor smiled at Connor, and Connor prayed that smile meant something good. 

Then he spoke two words that would make Connor's heart shatter into pieces. 

"I'm Sorry" Connor choked out a sob and fell to his knees. "We tried everything we could. Your boyfr- fiance's heart was just not strong enough. I'm sorry Mr. Franta." The doctor let Connor alone to cope with his emotions, but Connot could only sob louder. 

He was supposed to be Mr. Franta-Mellet in a few short months, but now that wasn't going to happen. 

There was going to be no house on a hill. 

No Children. 

There would be no lazy sundays or family game night fridays. 

No marriage. 

No Troye.

Nothing.

All those maybe's turned into never's.