Chapter 1: Newark

Newark, New Jersey

Monica began to undress herself, removing an old family reunion shirt that passed her knees and had faded out so it no longer even spelled out "Malotti Family". She stepped into the cold shower putting her left forward as if she was testing to see if she was able to adjust to the water. The hot water has been off for the past two weeks and her mother just didn't have the money to get it cut back on yet. Monica moved directly under the water as her straight hair started to wave up at the roots and flow downward. She did her best to get used to the cold water.

Her phone sitting on the counter outside of the shower started to ring. The only reason her phone was still on was because her best friend, Givenchy, paid her and her mother's phone bill. Givenchy is an up and coming drug dealer and he will stop at nothing to protect Monica. Not a day went by without him letting her know.

Monica gripped the edge of the shower curtain and pulled it back before leaning out the shower drying her hands with the dry towel. She slid her phone off the counter and slid the green call circle to the left answering the call without looking. She knew Givenchy would be the only one calling her early this morning.

"Hello, good morning Givenchy" Monica stepped back into the shower and turned her back against the cold water.

"Wassam Moni,damn sahn you already in the shower. Cut the water off and get out the shower shawty" Monica listened to Givenchy's voice doing her best not to get lost in his beautiful Newark accent. It was rough and jagged but somehow smooth and natural at the same time.

Monica slid out of the way of the cold water and extended her arm gripping the knob turning it right cutting off the water. "Why did you have me cut the water off?" She asked as she stepped out of the shower carefully and picked up her towel and wrapped it around her body while listening to Givenchy's response.

"Just too much noise Moni, you aight though? Imma come scoop when I'm done over here ma so be ready" He replied making Monica smile.

"So you going to make your weekly appearance at school for the week on a Monday? Well that's a first" Monica chuckled as she spoke into the phone and unlocked the screen so she could put the phone on speaker. "What are you even doing up this early?" She asked before walking away from the phone and lifting her short arms up and lifting onto her tip toes to grab her white and pink Victoria secret robe hanging from the back of the bedroom door, that she got for a birthday present from Givenchy.

"I had to make a few stops this morning and decided I'll see what was happenin with my scoob, but look Moni go get in the shower. The hot water and gas back on and I had my mans drop a car off to your mom to get too work. I love you baby girl I'll be there in about an hour." Monica listened to the phone hang up before she could open her mouth.

Givenchy hung up the phone and instructed his partner in crime, Jrue to head towards the trap house. He sat back in his seat and imagined how pissed Monica was going to be at him for paying for the bill. The way he seen it was that it had already been two weeks. He had gotten his bills under control at home and couldn't s e his best friend struggling like that. Givenchy knew how much Monica needed him, but Givenchy needed her more. The only thing Givenchy knew though was that Monica was good now and that whatever she needed he would provide for her.

Monica on the other hand was ecstatic that she had hot water to take a shower now. A wide smile spreaded across her face as she let the robe fall off her body and reentered the shower. She was grateful, but Givenchy was still going to get an ear full. She didn't like feeling like she owed anyone anything. She started to think of ways that she could come up with the money to pay him back while in the shower.