Chapter Ten

The Next Day

They had slept in the hospital with Robert as they didn't want to leave him. The nurses came in early in the morning and woke everyone up.

"Oh sorry," they said as they continued to walk in. They had to do all of his normal tests and make sure everything was working properly. They all stood up stretching and yawning and Colton left the room. Kayla didn't follow him this time; if he wanted her he would have asked her to go.

"Lets go to the house so we can shower, change and eat decent food," Colton said as he walked to the door. Everyone nodded and they left the room without kissing or hugging their father. Kayla wasn't used to this; if her father were in the hospital she would never leave his side. She would talk to him every chance she got and hug him as much as she possibly could. She followed them out of the hospital and got in the SUV that was waiting for them. They drove in silence to Robert's compound and Kayla was still amazed at how big the house was.

They all walked into the big house. It was unusually quiet. It sounded as if there were no one in the house. Kayla went to a bathroom away from Colton and showered, if he didn't want her around then she wouldn't be there. Colton stalked up the stairs to his childhood bedroom and showered. He didn't really care where Kayla had gone. He felt guilty about not comforting her, but not guilty enough to apologize for it. When Colton had finished he left his room in clean clothes and saw Giovanna standing in front of their father's bedroom door. She was just staring at it not moving.

"Still can't go in?" Colton asked as he walked up behind her.

"We've never been inside this room. It was always forbidden. It's just weird that father won't be coming back to it," she said quietly. Colton nodded and put his hand on her shoulders. They walked down the stairs hand in hand as they headed to the kitchen. Kayla came down the hallway and stopped looking at the siblings.

"Where did you shower?" Colton asked staring at her.

"In the bathroom down there," she said pointing behind her. Colton nodded and left the two standing there. Giovanna swiftly walked towards Kayla and pulled her into a room she had never been in.

"Have you told him?" She whispered as she shut the door.

"No. Not yet," she said playing with her fingers. "I don't think it is the right time."

"If you don't tell Colton, at least tell my dad. He would love to know," she said.

"How am I suppose to tell him if you guys are always in the room?" Kayla asked looking at her.

"I'll distract the boys when we go back and then you can tell him," Giovanna suggested as she put her hand on Kayla's forearm.

"Okay, that sounds good," Kayla said surprised at her sister-in-laws attempt to comfort and help her. Giovanna smiled nicely at her and then left her in the room. Kayla sighed and left the room to get dressed.

Dinner was already prepared for everyone and it had been served at the table in the kitchen instead of the formal dining room. Kayla joined them and sat beside Colton who poured her a glass of wine.

"No thanks," she said pushing it back to him. He looked at her wondering why she didn't want any and then shrugged as he chugged it down. They began to eat their food in complete silence until Anna began talking.

"How was your first day of work?" She asked Kayla trying to make conversation. Everyone looked up at her and waited patiently for her answer.

"It was nice. I loved going back and seeing all the kids again," Kayla said nodding. She didn't really want to talk about it. She thought if she kept talking somehow she would blurt out that she was pregnant.

"That's good," Byron said as everyone went back to their food.

"What about this house?" Giovanna asked after a few minutes of silence.

"It will stay with us. When we come back here we can stay here," Colton said matter-of-factly. Giovanna nodded and they went to their food an silence. Kayla couldn't stand it anymore and stood up quickly. Everyone stared at her but didn't say anything. She took her plate and walked to another room. She sat down on the couch in one of the family rooms and turned the TV on.

She couldn't bear the silence anymore. She turned on the TV and the National Geographic channel came on. She didn't really notice that a mother lion had taken down a zebra until Byron came in and sat beside her. He didn't say anything to her, but watched the TV intently. He brought in his plate as well and they ate in silence as the TV continued to play.

"I like this channel," he eventually said as he finished his plate and put in on the table in front of them.

"It just came on when I turned the TV on," Kayla said as she picked up her glass of water. Byron just nodded his head. Anna walked in a few minutes later and sat down with them. No one said anything, but Kayla felt much more relaxed and comfortable now that the TV was on and it was completely silent.