Chapter Three

Colton and Kayla woke to someone banging suitcases in their home. Colton groaned and grabbed pants while the dogs ran down the stairs barking. Colton could hear his sister's voice as she greeted the dogs. Colton shook his head not wanting her to be here and when he reached the bottom of the stairs he saw a heap of suitcases in his entryway.

"What are you doing?" Colton asked rubbing his eyes.

"Moving in, what does it look like," Giovanna said moving another one of her Louis Vuitton suitcases.

"What?" Colton asked surprised. He didn't remember talking to her about her moving in.

"Yeah, I'm moving to LA to get to know my family better, and since you and Byron both live here I thought I would start here," Giovanna said shrugging her shoulders and leaning on her suitcase. Colton looked around and saw around fifteen suitcases, and that was just his first look.

"So how long are you staying?" Colton asked looking at the suitcases and then at his sister.

"I'm not sure, but I have to be prepared for absolutely everything," she said smiling at him. "Now can you bring my suitcases upstairs to my room." She looked at him and he rolled his head and started grabbing suitcases. Giovanna ran up the stairs to his bedroom and jumped on Kayla. Kayla rolled over and looked at Giovanna laughing at her and smiling.

"What are you doing here?" Kayla asked sitting up and rubbing her eyes.

"I'm moving in!" Giovanna said excitedly jumping up and down on the bed. Kayla straightened up surprised that her sister-in-law was moving in and when Colton passed the doorway with all of her suitcases and looked at Kayla. She was giving him that look; the look she gave him when something happened with him in the middle of it and her not knowing about it. Colton shrugged his shoulders and sighed as her walked down the hallway to her bedroom at the end of the hallway. He dropped her suitcases in the middle of her floor and then walked back downstairs to grab more. Giovanna had the largest bedroom in the house; it was even bigger than Colton and Kayla's master bedroom.

"I don't remember talking to Colton about it, or you for that matter," Kayla said groggily still not understanding what was going on. Giovanna got off Kayla and stood up and waited for her to get out of bed. Kayla finally stood up and they walked out of the bedroom together towards Giovanna's bedroom. Colton walked in behind them with more suitcases and dropped them on the floor.

"Be careful with them please. They are expensive," Giovanna said to her brother as she glared at him. Colton rolled his eyes and sighed. He hated how materialistic his sister was. He left again and Kayla watched him go not wanting him to leave her alone with his sister. Kayla always felt inferior to Giovanna; she was always so effortlessly beautiful and believe it or not, she was incredibly smart. She always seemed so poised and perfect, like nothing ever fazed her. She was that perfect Disney princess that every little girl wanted to be. She was Colton's everything; his queen and Kayla knew he would do anything for her. Kayla always felt second in Colton's life when Giovanna was in the room or when she was in the same country.

"So, um, how long are you staying?" Kayla asked fidgeting with her fingers as she looked around the room.

"I'm not sure yet. Maybe a few weeks, a few months, depending on me working and everything," Giovanna shrugged looking around the room and trying to figure out where she was going to put everything. She looked around and saw the large walk in closet and walked in. It would be able to fit all of her clothes plus more. "When do you start school?"

"In a few days," Kayla answered simply as she walked into the closet behind Giovanna.

"I don't get how you would want to be a school teacher. I don't really like other peoples kid," Giovanna said going to one of her suitcases and unzipping it. Kayla couldn't believe the amount of shoes in the suit case. Every type of high heel possible was inside this suitcase.

"I dunno, I've always liked being around kids," Kayla said shrugging and looking at Giovanna's collection.

"You know Colton doesn't really like kids," Giovanna said nonchalantly as she unzipped a couple of more suitcases. Kayla was taken off guard with Giovanna's comment. Kayla wanted to have children, but if Colton never wanted any then Kayla wouldn't know what to do. Giovanna realized her comment hurt Kayla, but she didn't say anything to make her feel better. That was the way she was and she wasn't going to try and make Kayla feel any better.

"Are you going to put all of your clothes away?" Kayla asked trying to change the subject.

"Ha! Giovanna put her own clothes away. That's funny," Colton said coming into the room with the last of Giovanna's suitcases. Giovanna stared at him and Colton stopped laughing. They stared at each other and the awkward silence in the room became unbearable, so Colton went downstairs to make something to eat. Kayla and Giovanna looked at each other and then Giovanna began organizing her suitcases, so when she had her assistant come in she would know exactly where to put all of her clothes. Kayla left her and went to the kitchen to talk to Colton about their unexpected house guest.

"Did you and your sister talk about this and just decide not to tell me?" she asked angrily. Colton turned around, looked at her, and then continued cooking his eggs. Kayla walked over to him and grabbed his arm.

"I didn't talk to her about it and she is always welcome wherever I am," Colton said defending his sister.

"That's not what I meant. She is always welcome here, but I would have liked some notice," Kayla said backing away from him.

"Yeah, I would have liked some too," he said passing her a plate. She ate her breakfast in complete silence and Colton left the room. She hated fighting with Colton, it always made her feel bad and guilty. Even if she didn't do anything wrong. Kayla finished her breakfast and put it in the sink and walked back upstairs. Colton walked in a few minutes later looking around the corners to see if Kayla was still in the room. He didn't like arguing with her, but he would always allow his sister to live with him no matter what. Kayla just didn't understand what it was like to not have your siblings around for years at a time.

"Kayla doesn't want me here does she?" Giovanna asked in her shrilly voice she would use to annoy Colton. Colton turned around and stared at his sister.

"Well if you had given us a warning then maybe it would be a little different," Colton said trying to defend his wife.

"I just decided yesterday," she said simply grabbing an apple from the fruit bowl.

"Look, shes just not used to you being around all the time. I can't imagine what it's going to be like at the end of the week after you've become incredibly comfortable here," Colton said sighing.

"Just like old times," Giovanna said winking at her brother as she finished off her apple.

"Look you need to lay off. I know how you are and I'm used to living with you, but she isn't. She just needs to get used to it," Colton said knowing that eventually Giovanna and Kayla would explode on each other and he would be caught in the middle.

"She needs to grow up. The world is hard and a cruel place. We know this better than anyone. Yeah we may have money and grew up in the most beautiful homes in the world, but we weren't a real family. Money doesn't always make things better, sometimes, and sometimes, it makes it worse. She needs to see the reality of this marriage. Right now its all nice because of the lavish wedding and the exotic honeymoon, but soon she will realize that you two are completely different people. Maybe I'm the one who needs to be blunt with her, but someone has to do it. I'm not afraid to hurt her feelings and make her cry, but in the end she is going to thank me for it because it will make her stronger," Giovanna ranted to Colton. He stood there and took it knowing that it was true. Kayla lived a very sheltered life before they were together and she has no idea how cruel the world can really be.

"Just don't drag me into it," Colton finally said. Giovanna nodded and smiled at him. She kissed his cheek and walked out of the kitchen. When she walked into the hallway she saw Kayla standing there. She knew immediately that she had been listening to their conversation. She smirked at her sister-in-law and kept walking to the entryway. Kayla stared after as she walked perfectly to the stairs. She couldn't believe what Giovanna had just said about her. How dare she judge her and completely tear her apart. Giovanna didn't even know her that well and she had the nerve to talk about her behind her back. She was also amazed that Colton didn't even stand up for her. He just stood there and took it, and then decided to be the neutral party in it. He was just going to stand by and let his sister talk about his wife like that.

Kayla stood against the wall and she felt tears fall from her eyes. She quickly wiped them away hoping that Giovanna wouldn't come back down the stairs or that Colton wouldn't walk out of the kitchen. She looked around the wall again and saw Colton putting the dishes in the dishwasher. He looked like he always did; concentrating completely on the dishes not even thinking about what he had talked about with his sister. He let the dogs out of the house and went out after them. Kayla stood there wondering what she had gotten herself into.