Chapter Seven

The next morning Kayla woke up much earlier than Colton and went into the shower. She looked at herself naked in the mirror to see if she could see a difference in her body. There wasn't any difference. Maybe she wasn't pregnant and the smell of the sushi just triggered something and she got sick. It must be Giovanna trying to play a mind game with her. But why? When Kayla heard Colton's alarm go off she quickly grabbed a towel and wrapped herself up before he walked in. She didn't want him to notice anything.

"Morning babe," he said through a yawn. He kissed her cheek and rested his hand on her stomach and she froze. What if she could feel it inside of her?

"Morning," she squeaked out before he got in the shower. When she left the bathroom she realized how stupid her last thought was.

"Stupid, stupid. I can't feel it, which means he can't feel it," she muttered to herself as she went through her closet to find something to wear. She decided that she would go to the pharmacy and grab a couple of pregnancy tests. She dried off and changed into a pair of skinny blue jeans and a grey cardigan. She put on simple Converse shoes and began to leave the room.

"Where are you going so early?" Colton asked as he walked into the closet naked while drying his hair.

"I'm just going out and getting some last minute stuff before school on Monday," she said quickly not looking him in the eye.

"Oh okay, well after I tell David I've decided to invest I'm sure your family will want to have a family dinner. I was thinking you should call your mom in advance and let her know," Colton said as he put on his dress pants.

"Oh yeah, good idea," Kayla said as she kissed Colton on her way out. "Let me know how the meeting goes." She yelled back to him as she began to walk down the stairs.

"Don't forget to let the dogs out please! I have to go!" Kayla yelled up the stairs. Colton groaned and stared at both dogs who were both sitting in front of him staring at him. He walked down stairs, let them out and then filled up their food and water before going back upstairs. He grabbed a white dress shirt and began buttoning it up while staring at himself in the mirror.

"Did Kayla tell you?" Giovanna said as she walked into the closet wearing nothing but a bra an underwear.

"About what?" He asked staring at his sister in the mirror.

"Oh so she didn't," she said slyly as she grabbed a tie and began tying it up for him.

"Tell me what G? Seriously just tell me," he growled angrily. She stayed quiet and tied up the tie. Colton grabbed her hands and she looked up at him.

"Just girl stuff C, there is no need to get angry," she finally said as she began to walk away.

"Seriously don't lie to me," he said grabbing her arm to pull her back.

"I'm not lying," she said pulling her arm free. "Don't worry about it. Have a good day at work." She kissed his cheek and walked out of his closet. He stood there and straightened his tie. What could she have meant? Colton shook it off and went downstairs. He couldn't stop thinking about what she had said and what she could have meant. By the time he realized what he was doing he found himself in his office sitting down. He didn't remember how he got there.

"Your 9 o'clock is here," Anna said as she looked down at her tablet.

"Okay," Colton said simply looking at the wedding photo on his desk. They were both laughing at each other. Kayla's brown hair was up in bun and there was a small tiara on the top of her head; his mother's tiara. Her smile and laugh looked genuine, but Colton looked at it and realized that it had been months since he made her laugh like that.

"What's wrong with you?" Anna asked concerned looking at him.

"Mmhmm, what?" Colton asked prying his eyes away from the photo.

"What's on your mind?" Anna asked coming over to his side of the desk and leaning on it.

"Just something Giovanna said this morning before I left," he said looking up at her.

"What did she say?" She said sighing knowing exactly how Giovanna could be.

"She asked if Kayla told me anything but didn't say what it could be. And this morning Kayla was up really early and practically ran out of the house before me," Colton explained.

"You know how Giovanna can be. She's playing mind games with you. And by the looks of it, she has become quite good," Anna said raising her eyebrows at him. "I'll send David in." Anna walked to the door and a few seconds later David walked in with a broad grin on his face.

"Good morning Colton," he said happily as he held out his hand. Colton shook it and motioned for him to sit down.

"So I looked over everything and talking to Gabriella about it. I've decided to invest in your firm," Colton said as David began to stand up with excitement. Colton raised his hand and continued, "there is a catch. Gabriella runs the design department and so everything you do will have to be run through her." David weighed his options.

"Sounds good to me," David said standing up and shaking Colton's hand. They signed the papers and Colton decided to show David around.

"Here, we will get in and I'll introduce you to Gabriella," Colton said as they walked into the elevator.

"Nice building here," David said admiring everything around him.

"My father built from the ground up," Colton said simply staring straight at the elevator doors. They stood in silence until they reached Gabriella's floor. Colton walked out first and began walking straight towards her office, while David lagged behind looking at all of the rooms.

"This is amazing," he said staring at all of the glass design rooms. Colton smiled and looked behind him at David. When they reached Gabriella's office Colton walked in without knocking and Gabriella was sitting at her desk staring at her computer screen. She looked up and smiled at Colton and stood to be greeted.

"David I would like you to meet Gabriella. Gabriella, this is David, my brother-in-law," Colton said introducing the two. David and Gabriella shook hands and they all sat down.

"So I hear you are our newest architect," Gabriella said crossing one leg over the other.

"Yes, I'm quite excited to start," David said. "I already have a bunch of plans for what I want the building and offices to look like."

"Well, I will leave you two as you obviously have some work to do. Just get back to me with the designs and next week we will have to look for some locations where we can put the building," Colton said as he began to stand up.

"Thank you again Colton. I'll probably see you at dinner then tonight," David said standing again and shaking Colton's hand.

"No problem. We are family now right," Colton said smiling as he left to go back to his own office.

Kayla had driven to a pharmacy on the other side of the city hoping that no one would recognize her and that the paparazzi hadn't followed her. She parked and got out of the car looking around to see if she could see any. There was no one in sight and she walked inside. The cashiers standing at the register smiled at her and she smiled back quickly before heading down one of the aisles. She had to walk down a couple of aisles before she found the right one. How ironic was it that the condoms were put right beside the pregnancy tests? She looked around to see if anyone was watching her; there was no one around. She grabbed two pregnancy tests and walked to the cashier. One was a teenage boy and the other was a middle aged woman. She decided to go to the middle aged woman.

"Hello," she said smiling at her.

"Hi," Kayla said trying not to make eye contact. The woman scanned through both of her tests and put them in a bag.

"Will this be your first?" the cashier asked. Kayla nodded slightly and smiled a little. She didn't know if she should be happy about it or upset. Kayla paid for her purchase and the cashier handed her the bag. "Well, good luck."

"Thanks," Kayla said sheepishly as she turned to leave the pharmacy. She got into her car and before she could put the key in the ignition she burst into tears. She sat there for five minutes crying before regaining her composure. She wiped the tears off her face and turned the car on. She drove quickly home arguing with herself about whether or not to tell Colton the news or wait to see the doctor. When she arrived home, she quickly ran inside and ran up to her room hoping Giovanna wasn't in the house anywhere.

Kayla sat in the bathroom staring absentmindedly at the pregnancy tests sitting on the counter. She was sitting across from them on the edge of the tub drinking a bottle of water. She was completely zoned out when the phone rang.

"Hello?" She said still staring at them.

"He got it! Colton is going to invest!" Ashley squealed on the other end of the phone.

"Oh that's great," Kayla said simply.

"Why aren't you excited?" Ashley asked.

"There's something else on my mind right now. But I am excited for him. Are we having dinner at mom and day's then?" She said prying her eyes away from the tests.

"Yes we are. Around 7 so tell Colton to be home early," Ashley said.

"He will be. I mentioned it to him this morning," Kayla said.

"Okay, and we can talk about what's on your mind tonight," Ashley said.

"Yeah maybe," Kayla said as she hung up. She heard someone shutting the door of their bedroom and she stood up quickly to stand in front of the tests. She wasn't ready to tell Colton.

"Hey, Kayla you in here?" Byron said as he walked around the room.

"I'm in the bathroom," Kayla said as she walked out of the room.

"I just wanted to make sure you are okay with G and I both living here," Byron said looking down at her. He had much softer eyes then Colton.

"Yeah of course. We are family right," Kayla said trying to force a smile.

"Look I know G is a handful, but she wasn't always like that. She just needs to feel loved again and one day she will warm up to you. It's not your fault, that's just how she is and you are doing very well dealing with her," Byron said hopefully.

"Thanks Byron. That's nice of you to say," Kayla said crossing her arms on her chest. Byron gave her a big hug, smiled at her and left the room. Kayla took in a huge breath, held it, and then exhaled. She decided she needed to relax and took out her yoga mat. She changed into yoga pants and tank top and left the house.