Chapter Four

Kayla had spent the last few days thinking about what Colton and Giovanna had spoken about days before. Kayla had kept herself busy getting ready for school and helping her sister move back to Los Angeles. Giovanna and Colton had been busy moving her in and working at the company together. Kayla decided instead of spending the day with Giovanna and Colton that she would drive over to her sister's new house to continue to help her unpack. 

Kayla hadn't told her sister what Giovanna said and decided that while they were unpacking she would finally tell her. As she pulled into the driveway of her sister's brand new architecturally modern home her heart began to pound. She didn't want her sister to hate Giovanna, but she also wanted her sister to be on her side and comfort her. But then she had the guilty feeling, knowing that if her sister comforted her Giovanna would be right. Kayla could hear her voice ringing in her ears as she said it. "The world is a hard and cruel place... I'm not afraid to hurt her feelings and make her cry...". Kayla shook her head and got out of the car and walked up to the door. She walked right inside and walked to the kitchen. Ashley was standing by the grey kitchen island carefully taking dishes out of a box and placing them on the island. 

"Oh hey, I didn't know you were coming over," Ashley said surprised as she walked over to her sister to hug her. Kayla quickly hugged her and then backed away moving to one of the bar stools facing the island. Her sister gave her a weird look and went back to unpacking her dishes. 

"I need to tell you something," Kayla said in a determined voice. Ashley looked up and excitement took over her face. Her hand covered her mouth and she stared at her younger sister waiting for the news. Kayla sat there confused, she wasn't giving her good news. "What are you doing?" 

"Are you pregnant? Oh my God! That would be amazing! You two will make great parents, how far along are you?" Ashley asked as tears welled up in her eyes. She grabbed her sister's shoulders and pulled her in for another hug. Kayla was confused; she was NOT pregnant. 

"I'm not pregnant," she said simply pushing her sister off her. Ashley stood up straight wiping the tears from her eyes and looking embarrassed. 

"So then what do you have to tell me?" she asked again moving away from her sister. 

"It was something Giovanna and Colton were talking about, and it really bothered me," Kayla began to say. 

"They are brother and sister, and they haven't spent that much time together," Ashley said shrugging her shoulders and unwrapping her cups. 

"It was about me," Kayla said quietly. Ashley motioned for her to continue and Kayla took a deep breath before continuing. "So Giovanna has moved in with us." 

"That's nice," Ashley interjected immediately. Kayla rolled her eyes and continued. 

"The house may seem really big, but when you have those two in a house together. It is actually quite small. Anyway, I didn't know she was moving and Colton didn't mention anything, so I'm assuming she just decided she could move in. So she comes in all snotty and like she owns the place and begins barking orders at Colton as soon as she walks in the door. Then after she wakes me up by jumping on my bed we put all of her suitcases in her grand bedroom. There were like 20 suitcases and they were all completely full of clothes and shoes. And to top it all off, she goes around saying all this shit about me behind my back to Colton!" Kayla said finally becoming angry. Ashley stared at her sister, but didn't say anything. 

"Do you have anything to say?" Kayla asked surprised at her silence. 

"What did she say about you?" Ashley finally asked. 

"Well its almost like she knew I was hiding behind the wall listening to the conversation. She started off by saying that I needed to grow up and the world is a cruel place. Then she talked about how they have so much money and that they grew up in beautiful homes around the world. Then she went into talking about how we need to see the reality of the marriage because we are so different and come from different worlds. Then she came out and was like 'maybe I'm the one who needs to be blunt with her, and was like I'm not afraid to hurt her feelings and maker her cry'. Blah, blah, blah. It was crazy and then  she walked around the wall and smirked at me and walked up to her room," Kayla said feeling exhausted. Ashley stood there and stared at her sister not knowing what to say. Kayla waited in silence for her sister's answer. 

"Well, she does have a point. You do come from a pretty sheltered background and you are both from completely different worlds. And do you two even have anything in common?" Ashley said. Kayla was stunned. How could her sister take Giovanna's side? 

"What are you talking about? How could you be taking her side and not mine?" Kayla asked angrily standing up from her stool. 

"Look, we did live a very sheltered life and she does know how cruel the world is. Look at her, her dad threw her out of the house at such a young age and she had to figure everything out on her own," Ashley said looking at her sister. 

"I can't believe you are defending her," Kayla said shaking her head. 

"Okay, look what she said was wrong and clearly she is trying to show you that your marriage to Colton is going to be really difficult. You guys essentially don't have anything in common," Ashley said taking her dishes out of their wrap. Kayla stood up and began to help her sister. 

"How do you and David make it work?" Kayla finally asked. 

"We dated for five years before we got married, that's how we make it work. And we actually do have things in common," Ashley said staring at her sister. Kayla rolled her eyes, Ashley and David did have a lot in common and that is why their marriage works so well. Kayla and Ashley spent the rest of the day working in the kitchen cleaning out boxes and putting all of the dishes away in silence. 

Giovanna got out of the large pool in Colton's backyard. She grabbed her towel and walked back into the large kitchen and grabbed her cell phone. There was a missed call from one of the photographers she worked with in Italy and she clicked the redial button and waited for him to pick up. 

"Hello?" he said with his thick Italian accent. 

"Hey GG, what's up?" Giovanna asked playing with her towel. 

"I was wondering if you wanted to do a photoshoot with me? It would include your brothers as well," GG said. Giovanna thought about it; it had been a long time since they had had a family portrait. The last time they had one was when their mother was alive. 

"Yeah, that would be great. I'll have to talk to them of course, but I'm sure they would love to," Giovanna said excitedly. 

"That's great my love, we could do the shoot at your brother's new house. I'm sure it would be a nice gift for your father," GG said. 

"Sounds good to me, I'll talk to them tonight about it and get back to you tomorrow," Giovanna said. 

"Ciao bella!" GG said and hung up. Giovanna smiled and watched as Colton walked in the door wearing his black suit and red tie. Byron was walking in behind him wearing his typical black board shorts and a purple golf polo. 

"Hey! Just the two men I wanted to see," Giovanna said sitting straight up in excitement. 

"Are we getting a gift?" Byron asked excitedly walking over to his sister and kissing her on the cheek. 

"No. GG called and wants to do a photoshoot of us three siblings and we could give it to dad for his birthday or something," Giovanna said. Byron and Colton looked at each other raising their eyebrows and then looked back at their sister. 

"Where's Kayla?" Colton asked looking around the kitchen. 

"Dunno," Giovanna said shrugging her shoulders and leaving the kitchen. 

"Oh, Colty, do you think I can move in for a bit. The lease on my apartment is up and I haven't found a new place yet," Byron asked picking up an apple and taking a bite. 

"Yeah sure, why not. Everyone else has moved in. We might as well call Anna and dad to move in too," Colton said chuckling. Byron shook his brother's hand and they laughed and then Byron left to go and get his stuff. Colton stood in his kitchen and looked down at the dogs who were staring up at him wagging their tails. Colton smiled and gave both of them a bone before going upstairs to shower. He wondered where Kayla was and why she was being so distant.