The Awkward Encounter

Author's Note: Ok, so this is my first time writing a Draco Malfoy fanfiction...  I don't know how it's going to be.  I hope it's not cliche!  I really want to work the insides of Draco's mind without forcing him out of character.  The story, for the most part is going to be in my OC's POV, but I might switch the POV sometimes.  Some details might be confusing at first, but hopefully they'll be clarified later on in the story.  I don't know how far I'm going to go with this story, so I'll need some feedback along the way! I'm probably going to end up changing things along the way...

Draconian basically means "harsh and severe," so I'm going to strive to make Draco a dynamic character with several sides.  Wish me luck, and I hope you enjoy!  Sorry for the ranting!

----------------------------------------------

“Ok, almost there,” Ron softly whispered into the shell of my ear. 

“Hmm.  Where are we going again?” I murmured groggily as I fought to stay awake in Ron’s arms.  His arms certainly were much stronger than they appeared.  My thoughts were submersed in a spiraling motion of airy dreams.  I was severely jetlagged, and I felt quite disoriented returning to England.  When my family departed from our comfortable abode in London and moved to New Zealand six years ago, I never expected to return so quickly.  However, due to certain dire conditions, I’d been sentenced to remain in London and attend Hogwarts as a fifth year student. 

“Platform 9 ¾ and then Hogwarts Express.  You’re probably incredibly tired.  Don’t worry, you’ll have plenty of time to sleep and rest on the train.  Hogwarts is about seven hours away,” Ron suddenly replied. 

After sleepily wishing Mr. and Mrs. Weasley goodbye, I collapsed in Ron’s arms and could barely perceive the surrounding conversations.  I didn’t exactly care because I already knew Fred and George were probably arguing about something trivial, such as their bizarre idea of a joke shop.  I would have interrupted their quarrel if I was in a buoyant mood, but in my current state, I lacked a considerable amount of vivacity.  Similarly, I assumed that Harry and Hermione were discussing their courses for the upcoming year.  Ginny, of course, would most likely be gawking at Harry, tracking down his every movement with those exotic emerald eyes of hers.  Even though she was dating Michael Corner, I’m pretty sure she still held a soft spot for Harry.  She was probably using Michael to make Harry jealous.  The whole relationship seemed like a complete cover-up to me… 

With these thoughts, I gradually drifted into a nice, dreamless sleep until I heard an obnoxious sneer ten minutes later. 

“Oh look, guys!  Weasley’s got himself a girlfriend.  In fact, she looks pretty normal to me – actually a little better than normal.  Huh.  Her looks must compensate for her lack of brains.  Although, Weasley, I must congratulate you on your prefect badge. Is that what won her over?  Finally beat Potter at something,” someone incessantly drawled. 

Despite my sleepy state, I was immediately aroused by the first vulgar comment.  Girlfriend?  Who the hell did he think I was?  And besides, I don’t think he should be insulting Ron in that manner.  I mean, I often teased Ron for his stupid remarks and crazy facial expressions, but that’s because we’re family. 

“Hm.  Sleeping Beauty’s finally woken up.  Ooh, bronze eyes.  That’s a real stunner.  I see why you picked her, Weasley.  You must be envious of her beauty, huh, Granger?” the voice continued, making even snarkier comments than the last. 

I quickly glanced at Hermione to see that her face completely flushed.  Even though I didn’t know Hermione that well, I certainly favored her over this person.  I flicked my eyes to the origin of the comments, and I met a pair of arctic, cerulean eyes.  Then I gazed at the rest of this boy’s appearance.  Shards of platinum hair, ashen skin, sharp bone structure, and a nice patrician nose.  Ron had sent me a couple of letters in the past describing a rather rude, blond, and ugly boy named Draco Malfoy, who apparently despised Harry, Ron, and Hermione.  I would not concur with Ron’s use of “ugly” because I thought Draco was one of the handsomest guys I had ever laid my eyes upon, but I could definitely agree with the other two qualities.  After ruminating for a couple of seconds, I instinctively jumped out of Ron’s arms and walked up to Draco.

“Hi, I’m Ami Silverlake,” I held out my right hand for him to shake, “And I think you’ve had a huge misunderstanding.  You see, Ron here is my cousin, not my boyfriend.  Besides, I don’t go for funny looking red-heads.  Anyway, I’d better return to my nap, as I’m unbelievably jetlagged.  See you later, Draco Malfoy.” 

“As if,” he smirked and walked away.  I was a little astounded that he didn’t budge from my mention of his name.  Anyway, I knew I had won this round, but he just didn’t want to admit his loss and therefore proceeded with his arrogant attitude. 

“Ami!  You definitely scared him off!  That stupid git, thinking you’re my girlfriend.  Wait, do you really think I’m funny looking?”  Ron restlessly rambled.

I just chuckled and carried my luggage into a roomy cart.  Then I immediately fell asleep because I really did not want to put up with any more of this senseless conversation.   I must have taken up over three seats as I stretched out my long legs and rested my head upon the armrest, my dark brown hair spilling over the seats.  

--------------

All characters except my OC Ami Silverlake belong to J.K. Rowling.