Off to Neverland (1)

Start from the beginning

Stepzilla was the nickname that we had come up with for Cassidy, and I couldn't help but think that it fit. She was a total Godzilla in her own way...

"Yeah, well her mom isn't anything better," I sighed, stepping out of the way when Simon handed a cup of coffee to another customer. "It's like Claudia trained her to be as much of an insensitive bitch as she is. She did a pretty good job, if that was her intention..."

"Speaking of your evil stepmother, Cinderella..." Simon grinned, but it quickly faltered as he continued speaking. "How are you going to tell your parents about your suspension?"

I groaned, taking another step away as Simon handed someone else their drink. "I don't know," I answered truthfully. "Claudia will bite my head off, and my dad's never even home so I highly doubt he'll even notice that I'm not going to school..."

"How often does he come home?" Simon asked, toying with his apron slightly.

"He's usually home for about two hours early in the morning, when I'm asleep," I sighed, leaning against the counter unhappily now. "He works himself so hard for twenty-two hours a day."

"A day?" Simon asked, his eyes going wide. "Doesn't he have a day off?"

"Sunday," I shrugged, taking a sip of my drink to see if it was safe. Still hot. "But he sleeps all day so I never even see him then."

"Wow," Simon blinked, shaking his head as he handed someone else their coffee. "That's ridiculous. Claudia is really driving you guys into the ground, isn't she?"

"Claudia and Cassidy," I corrected, almost squishing my cup in my hands. They just made me so mad sometimes... No, they actually made me mad all the time.

"You know, you can always have a job here," Simon informed me with a sad look on his face.

I rolled my eyes, letting out a sigh. "No, I can't. Don't you remember? I applied when you did. The manager hates me because she has the hots for you and she thinks I'm your girlfriend."

Simon nodded. "Oh, yeah."

Suddenly, a new voice was added into the conversation. "Oh, hey, Ivy," Henry, another of my best friends that also worked at Starbucks, smiled at me as he came out from the back. "I didn't expect to see you here. Usually it's just Cassidy for her usual."

"Claudia forced me to go with her," I shrugged, not really caring since I got to see my friends. "I thought I'd get something for myself."

"Cool," Henry nodded before turning toward Simon. "But you've got to get back to work, buddy."

Henry then patted Simon on the ass before walking back into the back, and I had to bite my lip to stop myself from laughing. Simon hated it when Henry did that, but I couldn't find it more hilarious.

When I looked back over at Simon, he was as stiff as a board. I let out a laugh, almost causing me to drop my hot chocolate, which was unfortunately still hot.

"I hate it when he does that," Simon scowled at me, only pushing someone's coffee over to them.

"He's still your best friend," I sang, taking a sip of my drink before biting my tongue at how hot it still unfortunately was. "So what if he's gay?"

"Nothing's wrong with it," Simon defended, shaking his head at me. "I just don't like it when he hits on me."

I heard the little bell above the door jingle, but I didn't pay any attention to it. I had heard it about a thousand times since I had come inside. But for some reason, most of the people in the shop went silent.