Chapter Eleven: Acquisition

Start from the beginning

“You, too,” I responded quietly, and the next male hopped off the counter to shake my hand boldly.

“Hey Christina, I’m Jake. Resident socialite of our little group,” he introduced himself to me with a big smile and I knew instantly that he was a socialite. Preppy clothes, perfectly groomed hair, and the smell of heavy cologne wafting from him was all the evidence I needed.

“Oh and I’m also gay. Just in case you were wondering.” My eyes widened at his proclamation, and I felt the heat in my cheeks increase. Luckily, the last vampire shoved him back and stepped forward to introduce herself. She was small and petite, with long wavy black hair and startlingly green eyes.

“My name’s Gisela and I guess I’m the nerd. Ha,” she sort of chuckled to herself, almost as if she’d just realized her spot in the group. I swallowed, trying to summon up a smile as I told her it was nice to meet her. My attention was pulled back to Damien, whose next words had my heart pounding in my chest.

“And you’re Christina Laymen. Just turned seventeen on April 4, moved in with your boyfriend Derek when he proposed.”

Before I could respond, Cate pitched in as well. “Straight A student-“

“Had a pregnancy scare-“Marcus added, frowning slightly.

“But it turned out to be a miscarriage,” Annie finished, patting me on the knee sympathetically. My eyes were wider than saucers now as I realized these vampires knew everything about me.

“Grew up with an abusive father-“

“Mom divorced him-“

“Older brother’s way too overprotective-“

“Best friend’s a werewolf-“

“As are most of your other friends-“

“Cheated on Derek once-“

“But he forgave you-“

“Watches way too much TV-“

“Especially Vampire Diaries, I mean please-“

“Plays basketball-“

“Used to drive a motorcycle-“

“Turned it in for a Jeep-“

“Sarcastic to a fault-“

“Extreme feminist-“

“Loves music-“

“And your iPhone-“

“Okay, that’s enough!” I cried, jumping to my feet as fear gripped my heart. These vampires had just proven to me that they knew every little detail about me, my life, my friends and family. And it had worked – I was scared shitless.

“What do you want?” I demanded in a shaky voice as my legs trembled. I knew Derek and the others could probably hear every word we were saying, but thankfully they were keeping out of it. To my horror, Damien stood up as well and placed one hand on my shoulder, almost as if to calm me down.

“Christina, no you misinterpreted. We just wanted to prove to you that we do know you, and we wish you no harm.”

“But why does it matter whether you know me or not?”

“Because we need your help,” Cate said firmly, the look in her eyes so intense that I had to look away.

“Help with what?” I asked, still puzzled. I didn’t know any of these vampires, nor did I even know their kind existed an hour ago.