21. I take it back

Start from the beginning

"Wow." Jason breathes out. "They're pissed"

Devin snorts. "Yeah, they're only leaving at the exact same time. If they really wanted to be away from each other, I think Thirteen would've stayed."

"You read too much into things." Chase scolds him.

"Fifty bucks says Hayden doesn't come home till Thirteen does," Devin says in sing song voice.

"You're on," Chase replies.

***

I toss and turn in my bed, unable to fall asleep. I glance at the clock on bedside table, 1:27. I roll over in bed before finally deciding to get up. I'll just get something to eat and go right back to bed.

I descend the stairs quietly and make my way to the kitchen. The front door opens. I freeze and duck behind the counter, pulling a knife from one of the drawers. Her soft voice fills my ears.

"Could you be any louder?" She hisses, "You probably woke up half the damn house."

"Oh, pardon me for opening the door too loudly." Hayden retorts sarcastically. I make my way back the stairs quietly as they enter the kitchen.

Damn Devin's going to be intolerable because he's right.

"I'm off to bed." She mutters in reply. I hear her start towards me and turn to bolt quickly up the stairs.

"Are you really going to sleep?" He asks her. Her footsteps stop.

"Do I ever?" Her footsteps move towards him. I move into a position so I can see them. He doesn't reply to her, for a while.

"Want something to eat?" He asks and makes his way towards the fridge.

"Sure." She answers. She takes a seat at the counter as he removes several food items from the fridge and tosses her an apple.

"Won't eat anything else besides an apple or toast at this hour, and I don't feel like burning down the house." He tells her.

How would he know that?

"You're not that bad of a cook." She states.

"That's not what you said last time."

She rolls her eyes. "Last time was over a fire in the woods." She pauses. "Are we good?" She asks quietly.

He stops rummaging through the food. "Yes." he finally says, not meeting her eyes.

"For the sake of your brother, we can continue acting like we hate each other, ok?" she suggests.

He chuckles softly. "I take it back."

"Take what back?" She asks, confusion lacing her tone.

"Everything I said to you before I hit you." He says quietly. "I can't think of anyone better for them."

"I'm not staying Hayden."

"I'm asking you to."

"I'm not going to. I'm not going to responsible for the death of another team." She hisses at him.

"I'm not asking you to be. You wouldn't get them killed, you'd make them stronger."

"You've seen the scars Hayden." Her voice cracks slightly. "They will die, he'd make sure of it. Anyone I ever get close to, he kills. I'd rather let them live out their lives for as long as possible."

He sighs. "Suit yourself." He starts towards the stairs, I run up to the top. He pauses at the start of the steps.

"For once Thirteen, stop thinking about other people, and start thinking about yourself."