Deadly Black

Theme songs:

Prologue: Bleached Canvas - Moonsong (Levi's Search Theme)
Grey Skies - In Light and Darkness (Levi's Reminiscence Theme)
Interlude: Empty White Dreams - Night Without A Star (Eren's Theme)
Deadly Black - Curse Upon The Living (Chapter Theme)

You guys ready? XD

PS. Comments are my fuel...

___________

It started out slow.

A decaying rot that that started from within.

Slowly it eats away the life of many.

And right before his eyes, a fading light...

Soft sobbing was heard in the room, a lithe curled form poised next to a worn bed holding a body of a limp aged man. His breaths were labored. The sobbing boy wasn't the only one in the room, there his brother, mother and aunt stood just by the entrance, they already bid their farewells and now it was his turn. The only source of light they had was a short candle lighting the room.

"Ren... Don't cry my boy.." A pruned hand wove into Ren's hair, gently coaxing the breaking boy to calm. His crumpled voice, sounding weaker than it ever should. This only saddened the boy. Despite being used to so much death and tragedies while living in the underground, he could never imagine losing a family. The family who took him as their own despite their poverty, even without blood tying them. These people took him in when he had nothing, literally nothing, not even memories of who once was. He was a walking shell for a very long while, and they filled him. They filled him with so many memories, with love his child self had needed, and all this for him and they didn't even ask for any price in return.

"G-grandpa.." Ren looked up with crystalline tears dripping from his jewel eyes. "Please... Don't go.. We still haven't finished that book together.." Yes, years ago after discovering that the boy had the ability to read, the old man put together bits of his wages from work, and finally when Ren finally reached the age of sixteen, he bought back the book of wonders that he bartered so long ago, giving the large worn book to the boy. It was the best reward an old man could ever ask for, to see jewel eyes light up in wonder and happiness.

With a strained smile the old timer swiped his thumb to erase the traces of tears off the child's cheeks. "Now, now.. I can't help it.. It's my time, Ren.." He croaked. "Now wipe your little pretty face.. I can't have a peaceful rest if the last image I see is my beautiful grandson crying.." The man coaxed, he loved Ren just as much as his biological grandsons, but a small part of him knew he favored the brunette just a bit, because only Ren was able to read and they shared that ability, they would often share interesting discourses. Heck, the two of them even partnered up in teaching Armin how to read, the youngest.

"Oh, grandpa.. How can I smile.." Ren let out a shuddering breath, trying to control his sobbing. "I'm not ready...I don't want to let you go yet... Please.." How could he really? With all the wisdom the man has passed on to him. Those comforting chatter when the other kids refused to play with him, for the patting when he came home bleeding, for those understanding words when he felt lonely after his dreams that made no sense. "Grandpa.. "

"Ren.. You're not a child any more.. You will be fine, Jean's with you, your baby brother.. Armin, take good care of him--" Wretched coughs cut off the man. "--T-they need you.. You're going to be the voice of reason now.."

"No..!" Ren stubbornly clutched the old man's hand into his own. "No one can ever replace you! Do I have to be a child again for you to go back to how you were? I'd do anything grandpa..! I'll give you my span of life it's possible!"