Chapter 34

JJ's POV

"Hi JJ" Hope's distinctive voice found its way to my ears.

"That's...." Kelley said. She was walking with me.

"Hi Hope" I smile when Hope comes over. "This is my friend and roommate, Kelley O'Hara" I smile again.

"H-Hi" Kelley stutters.

"I'm Hope Solo" Hope grins at Kelley.

"H-Hi" Kelley stutters again.

"Do you want to join us for coffee?" I ask Hope.

"I'd love to" Hope smiles.

We walk to the little cafe and get inside.

"I feel like I've seen you before" Hope says to Kelley, intently staring at her.

"I can't imagine why" Kelley says, a little too fast. I give her a funny look, but she avoids my eyes. Something is fishy around here.

There is an odd silence that I would choose to fill.

"So Hope, which year are you at in college?" I ask.

"My third year" Hope smiles.

Kelley grits her teeth.

"That's cool. As you know, we're just starting" I smile at her.

"I know you will love it here" Hope tells us.

"I already do" I grin.

"Yeah. It's just glorious here" Kelley manages.

God what is her problem?

"Anyway, I better be getting to class" Hope says.

"Yep. Us too" I smile. We stand.

"As always, it's a pleasure to meet Julie's friends. I'm glad I could make your acquaintance. I hope we can become good friends" Hope smiles politely at Kelley who avoids eye contact.

"Yep. Nice meeting you" Kelley says.

"I'm sorry if I caused you any discomfort earlier. You just look very familiar. Are you sure we've never met?" Hope asks.

"I'm sure" Kelley shoots out. "If we did, I would remember. And I don't remember" She says more slowly.

"Well, I'll catch you later Julie" Hope waves to me. "Bye Kelley!"

Hope walks away.

"Kelley what is your problem?" I ask, glaring at Kelley. She doesn't respond. Instead, she watches Hope disappear around the corner. A sour look on her face. I nudge her. "Kelley?" I ask.

"It's nothing" She grumbles, and starts to walk in the direction of her dorm.

I stop her by grabbing her arm.

"It's obviously something! She was trying to be nice and you were so bitter!" I raise my voice.

"I don't want her apology!" She yells.

I frown. I didn't say anything about an apology.

"Why would she apologize? I didn't say anything about an apology" I frown.

"If I say it's nothing, then it's nothing. I need you to get off my back about it!" Kelley yells, then takes off.

Okay. If I know one thing, it's that it wasn't just nothing. Something is up. And I am going to figure it out.