Chapter Four

Michael had left the door open for Luke to walk in but he never did. He walked back over to the door and Luke was just standing there. Staring off into space.

"You gonna come in or?" Luke finally zoned back in and noticed Michael standing in front of him. Luke nodded and walked in, closing the door before Michael had the chance. The apartment smelled like pizza and strawberries. It was a weird combination but somehow it just screamed Michael.

Luke looked around, it wasn't exactly a mess but it wasn't neat either. There was a couch that must have been at least ten years old, having a mass of blankets taking up half of it. There was a small tv against the wall, stacks of movies next to it. In the other corner was a lamp and a cardboard box, over filling with toys. The small kitchen was at least neater then the small living space. Bills were pilled up in one area. The rest of the kitchen looked okay besides the beat up table, that happened to have tons of marker marks on it. Luke could just see the small hallway, not down it. But what he could make up was drawing most likely made by Michaels kids.

"Sorry, its not exactly homey." Luke shrugged, it didn't really bother him. His apartment was similar looking. Michael disappeared into the hallway with the bags, probably to go hide the toys that the kids would get soon. Luke wasn't sure if he was allowed to sit so he just awkwardly stood there. Lukes phone went off and he answered it.

Michael came back but noticed he was on the phone. Just sitting down on his couch he pulled out his phone. Already dead since it had a bad battery, even though he had barely used it today. Plugging it back in he wasn't sure what to do but sit there and wait for Luke to get off the phone. Luke had a sad look on his face, making Michael wonder why. Once he hung up he spoke fast.

"I'm so so so sorry, but that was my friend and he's dragging me to his parents." Michael just nodded, not sure how to even reply to that. Luke came over to Michael and handed him his phone, Michael instantly understood and put his number in. "I'll text you later, sorry I have to leave."

Then he was gone. Leaving Michael alone in the apartment. Maybe it was because Michael wasn't good with words. He was use to it though, after all, everyone ended up leaving Michael.

-----------

It was around four when Michael realized he was late to be at Ashtons. In Michaels mind he was still having a good day and he wasn't sure why. Maybe it was a sign, maybe things would start to look up in his life. He texted Ashton saying he was on his way and he didn't get a reply. It was marked as read though so he knew he saw it. Michael walked into the house and the twins attacked him with hugs. He was shocked but embraced them, it was rare for them to be to happy to see him.

"Happy Birthday daddy." He heard his little girl whisper and thats when reality hit him. Today was his birthday and he forgot. He heard Ashton laughing, knowing his friend forgot his own birthday once again. "Did you seriously forget your birthday again?"

All Michael could do was nod and hug his babies closer. Seconds later he felt little hands push against him, trying to push him away. He never wanted to let go but he didn't want to deal with whining. Once he let go he looked up to see Ashton just giving him a smile. Michael rolled his eyes and walked toward the kitchen, where he could smell dinner. Sometimes he felt like Ashton did so much for him but he didn't enough in return. One time he had told Ashton this and he got a ten minute lecture on the subject.

Once in the kitchen he could see the table set, and on the counter were a few gifts and cards. Michael wanted to cry, but he didn't, not wanting to cause a scene. The kids rushed into the room and sat down, Michael just sat down as well. Waiting for Ashton to serve whatever he cooked. Ashton had sat everyone a plate and of course it was Michaels favorite. Spaghetti.

Dinner ended up being quiet, but then it was time for Michael to open gifts and it was crazy. He smiled to himself as he saw his two kids fight over who would give him their card first.

"Guys stop fighting just give him your damn cards." Ashton said, grabbing the three gifts and placing them in front of Michael.

Opening the cards he saw the backwards letters and misspelled words but that didn't matter. He thanked them and they just beamed, happy that their dad was happy. Ashton handed him a card after, he eyed Ashton but he just shrugged. Carefully opening the card, a few twenties fell onto his lap. He glared at Ashton but all Ashton said was, "Happy Birthday Michael."

Now it was time for gifts and he didn't even want to open them. He knew for a fact that Ashton paid for them, obviously, and he felt bad.

"I want to sit on lap." He looked and saw his daughter holding out her arms, Michael reached out and picked her up and placed her on his lap. His son being on Ashtons lap. "Why don't you pick which one I should open first?" He whispered to his daughter and her small green eyes lit up even more. Pointing to the one closest to her, being the smallest one.

He grabbed it and started to unwrap, with the help of Marci of course. Once its open he wanted to slap Ashton and hug him. Slap him because it must have cost tons of money, and hug him because he was so thankful to have a friend like Ashton. It was the iphone 5c, not the six because that was too big for Michaels smaller fingers.

Before Michael could say anything Ashton spoke up, "Before you say anything about how much it was, I got it for free since my cousin works at apple so I asked him and he supplied." Michael nodded, mumbling a small thank you.

The other gift was slightly bigger, grabbing it and getting help from his little helper he opened it. In it was two picture frames, in the frames were his kids. "Went and got them today for you."

Now some might think, why would a 25 year old want professional pictures of his kids. Well when you become a parent you will understand. Their was one last gift and Michael hated that Ashton had spent so much money.

"That's the present we got you daddy." His son Max practically yelled out. Michael smiled over at his son, "Remember indoor voice." Max nodded, waiting for his dad to open the present him and his sister got him.

Inside was a plate, a white plate. Flipping it he instantly smiled. On the other side their painted hand prints were on the plate, having written their own names. Ashton stating he helped. It had came with a plate holding so he could hang it somewhere. He felt someone tug on his leg and picked up his son. Bringing both of his kids closer, feeling their little arms around him. A few seconds later he felt bigger arms wrap around him, knowing it was Ashton. Michael felt something he hasn't felt in awhile, he felt loved.

do you know how hard it was to think of gifts lol, idk man dont judge.

I JUST REREAD THIS MONTHS LATER AFTER I WROTE IT AND IM LAUGHING AT THE IPHONE PART ABOUT ME PUTTING THE IPHONE 6 IS TOO BIG FOR MICHAEL WTF WAS I DOING WHEN I WROTE THIS