The front door to my house opened up and in came Austin and Bailey, seeing me and Connor on the couch, miserable and sad. Well, me miserable and sad.

"What the hell, Diana, are you drunk?" Austin could tell immediately.

I expected him to be pissed again, yell as me and tell me to grow up, but instead he came over and took the wine from me and the liquor from Connor and said, "I guess Chance was really upset, huh."
I cried some more, not being able to answer. Austin, looking angry, released a breath, but he was not angry at me. He leaned over and picked me up, carrying me up the stairs as I cried on his shoulder. "He said he wont wanna see me, Audie. Or hear from me. He's so angry." I cried, and he Austin shushed me while Bailey got blankets for Connor to pass out on the couch, and I faintly hears Bailey's voice tell him, "Go to sleep, fuckface." Then he went to my room with Austin.

Bailey pulled back the comforters as Austin laid me on my bed and Bailey tucked me in. "He's an idiot, Diana. He doesn't realize what he's doing." Bailey said.

"Yes he does. He knows exactly what he's doing. He's gonna be miserable, so he wants me to be miserable. I already will be miserable without him, but with him being like this it just makes things harder." I cried onto my pillow. "And now I can't stop missing that fucking man. I see him once and it bothers me every second." I cried harder, and Austin stood confused, but Bailey knew.

"What is she-"

"Andy Carl was at the graduation. They saw each other and it was like neither of them could move. It was hard watching something like that." He admitted, rubbing my arm.

"What did they say to each other?"

"They didn't talk. They didn't have time, his brother took him away because of the photographers."

I calmed my crying and rubbed my eyes. I was so drunk and emotional, but Austin wasn't angry at me.

"Go to sleep, Diana." He told me, and I obeyed.

"Goodnight." Bailey pat my head as I dozed off.

...

Three weeks. 

That's how long until I left for New Jersey, how long I had to pack, to see my friends, to spend time with my brothers, and that's how long it had been since I'd seen Charlie. He ignored my every call, he removed the key to his apartment from under the mat, and he never answered the door for me. I was hurting so much. I kept wondering why he was doing this.

I left him voicemails for godsake, voicemails! I texted him a ton of times, begging him, insulting him, joking with him- not once did I get a reply.

Finally, on the day I was leaving I decided to make one more stop at his house. I breathed deeply, hoping this would work. 

I knocked. "Charlie?" I said. Silence. "Charlie, I'm-" I sighed. "I'm leaving today. I'm going to college. Please just let me see your face before I leave." He said nothing. "I love you," I began to cry. "I can't leave things like this between us, please open the door." I waited a few minutes, hoping he would open it up, but nothing happened. So I continued talking. "I'm coming back next break, and I'll stay with you." I tried to speak eagerly, but tears were beginning to fill my every breath, I sounded like a sobbing child. "Charlie please don't make this so hard. This hurts, it really does." I leaned onto the door, pressing my forehead against it and crying, but when I got no answer and checked the time, I knew I had to get going, so I waited another ten minutes, then told him I loved him, and I left.

I left Texas.

And Charlie.

...

He never tried to reach me for the next almost three years. I was miserable, for a only a while.