Prince of Roma- Chapter 2

Chapter 2
-------------

Both of them sat in silence, soaking in to the peacefulness that came with the place. But their minds were not at peace, both their minds were racing with a million thoughts. Alpha Nick sat completely relaxed and Evelyn stiffly next to him, she could not relax with her alpha sitting next to her.

"I spent a lot of time here when I was a kid" Nick finally broke the silence and Evelyn looked at him.

He was looking in to the river with a faraway look on his face, as if he was reliving those memories.

He sighed and looked at her, his face filled with sorrow.

"So many people I grew up with" he said sadly "Who are not there here anymore" he whispered. 

What could she say? 

She could not even comprehend the sorrow of an alpha who lost so many members of his pack.

"If someone would have told me a year ago that I would be in this position, I would have laughed them off my pack grounds" he said sardonically. 

"This one year has taught me humility in so many levels" He confessed, he seemed so broken. Not the strong alpha she knew and admired all her life.

Yes, the alpha before the attack was a different man, confident, cocky and a little bit arrogant. 

But weren't all alphas? His pack had been a prosperous one, better than many. He had carried that pride around.

That pride, which was missing now. This alpha who sat next to her was very different from the one she knew since she joined the pack she realized.

"I was a proud and confident man once" he began as if reading her mind "but I had to let my pride go, if I wanted to have my pack survive. I was running out of options and I had to put my pack before me or my ego. Do you know how hard it is for an alpha to beg for help? That too from strangers?" He asked rhetorically. 

He was talking about the Roma wolves. He shook his head in regret and sighed again.

"I did what I had to do. I believe my actions helped my pack survive, save the very few people I still had standing." He said with confidence, a man who believed in his actions.

"I made choices that I never had to contemplate before in my life." he declared.

"My father used to tell me that the very word 'Life' has an 'if' in between it, right in the middle of it. How ironic!" he reminisced.

"But we have to adapt, or we perish" He sighed, paused and looked at her.

"You might be wondering why I am telling this to you child?" he said looking at her affectionately "I still remember the day you joined my pack, hiding behind your mothers leg. You were a little thing but I saw something in your eyes, a flame, a desire to embrace life to the fullest and I have seen that in your eyes as you grew up. Even when you walked in to my office asking to move out of the pack after school. I understood what drove you, your need to make something of yourself, I admired you for it...in fact. That's why I never dismissed your idea straight out" He said voicing out his opinion about her for the first time.

Evelyn absorbed this, a perspective she never had before, how her alpha saw her. She felt a sense of satisfaction that her alpha had understood her need, her desire.

"But now I see that flame in your eyes wane out, since you found your mate" he declared to a stunned Evelyn.

He had read her like a book. She never thought someone could know her so well. She always knew that her alpha was a keen observer but to understand this, he had paid more attention to her then she ever realized.