Chapter 23

Chapter 23
---------------

Werewolves are more animals than humans and if anyone thought otherwise, were kidding themselves.

Even in human form the beast and the man warred with each other continuously, the balance of nature vs. nurture was constantly tested.

That is why a newly shifted wolf was trained rigorously. To help contain the beast, to make it submit to its human side.

But even in human form the beast could take control, like it did in Maxwell's case. In which case the instincts of animal took over and the human nurturing suppressed.

Werewolves were also territorial and social animals. Their hierarchies clearly defined, their territories clearly marked. A werewolf was always ready to fight for its hierarchy and its territory. In the animal world one single truth still held good.

Might makes right.

And most importantly werewolves were most protective of their mates, partly due to the reason that they mated for life and they needed to protect a mate to ensure succession of their bloodline and also due to the reason that an enemy would rather take down a mate then you, sometimes bringing down a mate was much easier than a strong wolf.

That way they would bring you down as well. A werewolf who lost its mate would become highly unstable, ripe for picking.

So, for any werewolf, protecting its mate was a primary instinct. They were extremely protective, overbearing, but it was their nature and female werewolves learned to put up with it. Some even enjoyed all the attention they got from their mate.

So when Maxwell, whose wolf was in control saw Evelyn in Alex's arms, he saw a lower ranking wolf encroaching on what was his...

His mate, and his instincts kicked in.

Before Alex knew what happened he was flying across the hallway, hitting the wall pretty hard that unhinged him completely. He was lying on the ground to figure out what the hell happened and tried to get up, when he saw Maxwell in all his wolfy glory giving him a death glare standing protectively in front of.....Evelyn.

Evelyn????

EVELYN!!!!!!!!!!

No.

Fucking.

Way!!!!!!!!!

His mouth opened as his brain imploded with the complete picture, Maxwell's wolf was standing in front of Evelyn in such a protective stance that meant only one thing.

Finally, the jigsaw falling into place.

Maxwell was looking ready to commit murder, Alex could not see Evelyn's face as he was completely blocking her and the guard who was there earlier guarding the door, got out of the way and as far from Maxwell as possible.

"Maxwell!" Alex said calmly, from the ground, half sitting, not getting up so to ensure that he would not see him as a threat.

"Relax!" he said soothingly "Get your wolf in control, there is nothing to worry about" he was reassuring him. And also keeping his complete focus on him.

He would be unpredictable now and god knows what he would do when he turned around and focused on his...mate!

Goddammit! He was still trying to get his head around that fact.

He saw the internal battle between Maxwell and his wolf as he was standing stoic, breathing laboriously. No doubt his human side and wolf side in conflict for dominance.