Chapter Ten: The Choice

Start from the beginning

“Well you just did.”

I gasped loudly, turning in my chair to see Derek standing in the doorway, his face a stony mask of indifference. But underneath it, I could see the boiling agony and the searing anguish, the pain radiating from the depths of his green eyes.

“Derek-“I cried, jumping up, but before I could even touch him he was gone. With a glare towards Cece, I followed Derek through the hallway and out into the living room. I couldn’t tell if he was more angry or more hurt, but I knew I had to do what I could to fix it. Finally, I was able to grab his arm and get him to face me. Derek spun around, the hurt in his expression making my heart ache while the tears in my eyes spilled over.

“Why didn’t you just tell me, huh? You could have at least been honest with me, Chris! You owed me that much.”

“I know, and I’m sorry Derek. But can’t you at least try to understand my position? I didn’t know what to do! You clearly wanted me to be a part of your pack, but that was never something I wanted!” I exclaimed, my voice getting louder and louder.

“Then why didn’t you tell me, upfront? I would’ve understood! I was born with this, this curse, and I’ve had twenty years to learn how to deal with it! You’ve had what, nine months to process it? Chris, I love you and I will always love you, but I can’t believe you didn’t trust me enough to be honest with me,” Derek shouted, his voice breaking at the end. I was crying in earnest now, my hands reaching out to beseech Derek. To my horror, he turned away from me and strode quickly to the front door, rage and betrayal apparent in every step he took.

“No, that’s not true! Derek, wait-“But he slammed the door shut without even bothering to hear what I was going to say. I could almost feel my heart breaking in my chest, and suddenly just the basics of breathing in and out were too much. Choking on my sobs, I collapsed onto the couch and curled up into a ball, trying to squeeze my body so tightly I couldn’t feel the agonizing pain in my heart. Of all the mistakes I’d made in my relationship with Derek, this one was proving to be the worst.

***                                                      ***                                                      ***

            After an awful night of sleeping in our big bed alone, I got up just after five in the morning and couldn’t go back to sleep. I’d been tossing and turning all night, unable to relax with the tearstained pillows beside me and no Derek. He must’ve slept on the couch or something because he never even came into the room, not once all night. In the hopes of repairing some of the damage I’d done, I was silently letting him win our argument and staying home from school, although at this rate I didn’t think he’d even notice.

The loneliness was eating away at me, so finally around seven I crept down the stairs and peeked over the railing. Sure enough, there was Derek’s rumpled form, stretched out on the small couch as best he could. I stared at his perfect face, all smoothed out with no anger, or betrayal, or hurt…just him, peaceful and relaxed. It made me sad to think that lately we’d been fighting more and more. Really, ever since I’d moved out things had been slightly off with us and I’d just been too scared to confront it. Then there had been the explosion and Boyd had died, and Derek and I had needed each other more than ever. But since then it had been one fight after another; the baby, Cece’s arrival, the validity of Cece’s story, him choosing Cece over me, me being friends with Dean, and even seemingly insignificant things, like Derek trying to protect me from every little threat, whether it be school shooters or brain-dead jocks. I’d hoped all our arguments just meant we were growing closer as a couple, but maybe…No. Don’t even think it, Chris. You and Derek love each other, and you fight for the people you love. Always.