18: A Second Apple Of Memory

This might hurt... A lot.

A needle slid through his clammy skin and injected its contents; something pure and glistening black. At once, the muscles in his arm seized up into the worst cramp he'd ever experienced.

It was an experimental prototype - it was meant to hurt.

But he'd never known pain like this.

If he could stay alive, then he would be granted some kind of power. That was all the prince of darkness had told him about it.

Something was stirring inside the affected vein. It was taking its precious time - spreading lazily without a care for the agony it was causing.

Creeping closer to his thudding heart.

He felt faint; drowsy. Pumped blood beat in his ears, a steady rather rhythmical sound. 

He'd listened to a explanation of its history whilst the preparations were being made.

It had been given to countless - less willing - subjects before him, formula adjusted after each test run.

Interestingly, the prince of darkness left out what happened to the previous volunteers afterwards.

One of the subjects had whacked their head against a wall until their skull caved in (he was lying on a table), another had clawed at their skin until it bled (fullbody restraints prevented a re-enactment) and one had even bitten off their tongue and choked on it (he had a twisted piece of cloth tied firmly between his teeth.)

Through half-open eyes, he looked around the room's ceiling. It was made of unfriendly gray concrete; cluttered with luminous bar-shaped lights. They had been dimmed. One was broken.

"Don't fall asleep," a voice hissed from somewhere nearby.

I wo-won't. His voice quivered and wavered.

The substance felt like an icy poison seeping into his chest.

A snake slithering downwards and around his heart.

But when it hit - it hit hard. And spread like wildfire through his whole body. Suddenly, the restraints just weren't enough. They should've added titanium shackles and braces for good measure.

____________________
A/N: These flashbacks will make sense... Eventually. :3
Note: As Phantom is practically pulling this story out of her ear without anything but a vauge ending, she'd be grateful if her awesome readers would keep an eye out for any plot holes that need fixing.

Well, until tomorrow, ladies and gentlemen. Remember what's gonna happen next? E.J waking up and Jane possibly ruining Jeff's name for all eternity? Yay!

Toodle-Doo~