15: An Apple Of Memory

[This is an unwarranted flashback chapter. If you happen to read it again, once this book is complete, you might get quite a surprise...]

"Please... Make me stronger."

Delicate stitches trailed down the length of his sore back, woven skilfully in a criss-crossing fashion to close up the scarred skin between. He couldn't see them, but he could  f e e l  them.

A steady flow of air was being forced into his lungs via an oxygen mask. Thin swirls of vapour poured out of the holes and even then - he could barely breathe it in.

It was easier to communicate through telepathy. The prince of darkness didn't like wasting his breath on people inferior to him.

I can make you into a fine fighter but,
Give me a reason why I should.

"Won't take no for an answer..."

He had nothing much to prove himself with. Not yet.

In the way of skills, a red belt in karate and faint knowledge about chloroform and dissection. None of them were good enough.

None of them had ever been good enough.

-Telepathic voice was clearly thoughtful.

You'll be bedridden for at least a month to recover your strength,
Afterwards I'll train you to be strong enough to massacre an entire neighbourhood in one night.

But not without payment.
What can you offer me?

He felt like he was being thrown into a nightmare. Terribly surreal in a way that filled him with dread - but so much better than facing anything else.

Nothing could bring him peace until he'd killed the wretch who'd pushed him to hell.

He'd been forced to endure some of the worst tortures of the world because of him.

Fear's claws had left their sinister scars across his mind.
Abandonment's pain still dwelled somewhere in his beating heart.
Hope's broken shards lay by his feet - cutting deeper with every passing day.

He was going to pay for it.

All of it.

Every scream that he'd had to silence, every strand of hair that he'd torn out of anguish, every drop of blood that had fallen from his tongue on that day.

"I have no wealth or secrets. But I do have a penchant for carrying out orders without hesitation."

________________
A/N: This is a filler flashback chapter.
It got stuck in my brain and refused to leave me alone until I wrote it.
Coming up (hopefully - likely nopefully) tomorrow: Jeff and BEN's double act.
Toodle-doo~
Final Word Count: 379.