27: Devil's Apple

From behind the staticky glare of a shoddy computer monitor, Zalgo said nothing as his servant walked out of the camera's range.

A minion who was holding up the aforementioned - large - monitor looked like it was about to be squashed under the screen's weight.

This "petty background detail" was ignored.

Oh, and the minion was grunting and making funny squeaky noises.

That bit wasn't ignored.

Zalgo was irritated by it, but had built up enough self-restraint not to show it. After all, he was busy basking in the glory of an unknown success. No time for distractions.

"My, my, it actually worked.
And yet..."

A grey book-like file came flying, spinning from out of nowhere. Naturally, the UFO landed in his waiting hand, weighing it down a little.

The minion stumbled with a whine, heaving the heavy monitor above its head with shaky arms. Comical droplets of sweat cascaded from its forehead.

Nobody knows what the minions look like, not even Phantom. So we'll leave that scene entirely to your imagination. Dangerous feat, I know.

The prince of darkness (ignorant to his minion's plight), flicked through the file, fluttering pages. He was looking for something in particular, definitely taking his time in doing so. 

Awkward silence.

"Do you know how many names are written in this book?" Zalgo asked in a bored voice, pretty much talking to a cobweb on the ceiling.

However, Mr. Minion didn't know that the question wasn't directed at it because it couldn't see past the giant monitor.

So it frantically tried to answer him, through a series of strained whoopee-cushion-like noises.

Awkward silence fell from grace.
Squeak. Honk. Squeak. Squeak. Honky. Honk. Squeak.

"Ninety nine, to be precise.
Ninety eight of them died."

He didn't sound very remorseful about that.

Propping the book open on his knee, Zalgo summoned a pen and began writing some important things in it. Or at least, it looked like he was writing important things. Hard to tell.

  "This one's been ongoing for a whole year now. The progress is promising, outstanding even. But there's been so many unexpected problems and side effects..."

He finished off his writing with a flourish, and closed the mysterious research book with a snap.

"If things go amiss, I want all traces of this experiment destroyed. The research, the records, everything terminated! Is that clear?"

The minion hiccuped, woozy from holding up the monitor for so long. Its eyes were going loopy.

"Good."

Zalgo himself disappeared in a poofy plume of royal purple smoke, which the loopy minion promptly choked on.

It burned.

And smelt like lavender.

Don't ask.

____________________
A/N: Frightfully short because I haven't written anything in almost two weeks. I unofficially declare that Smiley will be in the next one, but say unofficially because now I've jinxed it.

Here lies a big can of root beer for @CheshireGrin333, cheesecake for @dragongal8687, waffles for @The_original_Taz, pancakes and maple syrup for @WaterIsMyLifeNow, cake for AgentMaximoff, chocolate for @YukaTheReaper, tea for @NightBlaize, pizza for @SilentTapper, and some kawaii chocolate muffins for @LifeInTheDarkness.

And of course... This cookie for mummeh, @Theo333. (.:::.)

For that truckload of comments you guys left on the previous chapter, which sent me over the moon and back. Thank you for being constant supporters of this story! :)

Question Of Le Day: What is your latest obsession? Y'know, like TV show or a book that you can't put down. While we're at it, what's your opinion of this book?

My latest obsession is over a certain DS game -  Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood. Third time replaying it, still one of my favourites. As for my opinion of this book... It's fun to write. XD

Till next time - Toodles!
Final Word Count: 572