Pride and Prejudice

Start from the beginning

"Would you like to join us in the button shop?" Ava butt in, beaming.

I flushed, but Wick didn't notice. He merely smiled. "Of corse."

We invited him for dinner that night. As we were walking, we came across Josh and Lucas on horseback. "Aye! Maya, Riley, Ava! Fine afternoon isn't it?" Josh called, a grin etched on his face.

"A fine day indeed!" Maya called back, as Maya and Josh exchanged conversation, I shifted from foot to foot.

"Good afternoon, Riley." Lucas called,

"And to you." I said, as if on cue, Xander stepped out from behind me, and Lucas's face hardened, and he rode away from us.

Josh shrugged and followed him, waving goodbye.

Maya and Ava went inside to start working. Wick and I sat in the shade, talking.

I hesitated. "If you don't mind me asking, why was Lucas so cold to you..?"

"My father was good friends with his father. When my father died, he took me in as his own. Lucas got jealous, and framed me for a crime, he committed. They kicked me out, and I'm stuck as a solider for twenty more years." Wick said, smoothly and sadly.

I blinked a few times. "That's horrible. I'm sorry."

Wick laughed. "There's always going to be people like Lucas in this world."

I nodded. "Yes."

At dinner that night, Lucas kept throwing Wick dirty looks. I felt my core stretch with anger, as he sent look after look.

Again, I was the first to volunteer, to help with the dishes. Maya came in to help me soon after. "My, so many men out there that all want you." She smiled.

I rolled my eyes. "Any man who wants to marry me, must be blind."

Maya laughed. "Then you'd better get them some eyes."

We finished up, and as we went to the parlor, Charlie stood up. "Riley, may I speak to you alone?"

"Of corse! Of corse, we'll give you some privacy." My mother said.

Everyone started to leave, and I stood there awkwardly. "Riley Matthews. You are the most beautiful girl I've ever met." Charlie started.

"Thank yo-" I started, but Charlie held up his hand.

"You make me undeniably happy and I want to see you forever," He got down on one knee.

"Charlie!" I yelped.

"Will you make me the happiest man on earth and be my wife, Mrs, Gardener?" He looked at me with hopeful eyes and I struggled for word.

"Charlie, I'm sorry, you're a wonderful man! But I don't think I'm the kind of girl who can make you happy, just as I don't think you're the man that can make me happy. I'm sorry, but I'll have to decline." I walked out of the parlor, with Charlie calling my name behind me.

That night I went to bed, feeling guilty as hell.

The next day, my mother and father found out about the proposal, my mother was furious.