Chapter Twenty-Three: Nancy

Deirdre was proven to be insane. She was admitted to a mental institution to get serious help. Everybody told me to be happy that she was under security, but I felt terrible.
    Before Ned bursted through the barn doors, Deirdre told me it was all my fault. Her depression and hatred was all my fault and she had to eliminate me from the picture to make her happy for the first time. I felt so terrible.
    Ned came just in time. I was so excited to see him, at first I thought I wasn't seeing him. That his kiss was my heaven. That I had already been shot and this was my last moment with my fiancé. But, when he let me catch my breathe, I opened my eyes to see his smiling face and I realized I wasn't dead. I was alive.
    Then, Deirdre really went crazy. I would never forget how she acted in the barn. How it was my fault, even though it was days ago.
    "You have to stop blaming yourself," Bess told me as she stroked my white vail. She loved the maroon dress that George and her were wearing as brides maids. George didn't even mind wearing flats. I caught her smiling to herself in the mirror.
    "I'm not," I lied, then changed the subject, "You guys look amazing."
    "Nancy! You're the one who looks amazing!" My dress was a white lace one that ran down my legs and dragged behind me on the floor with two single straps that held it on my shoulders. The lace trim held tiny pearls in the fabric which created a simple, yet beautiful look. The vail was made to match. I was one for old-fashioned things, so the dress had an older look to it, but it was still gorgeous. It suited me perfectly.
    Dad said it was just like my Mother's. He said we always had the same taste. That made me love it even more.
    I held a bouquet of white and maroon flowers. Unfortunately, my sweating palms were causing the bouquet to get hot. My pulse raced and my head spun. The last few days have been crazy. The police and reporters were always scrambling to interview me. My worries for Deirdre would only increase. The wedding had needed tons of preparation.
    We considered moving the date back, but decided to try to play it out. In the end, it worked out. Soon, I heard the music start.
    "It's time," Bess whispered excitedly.
    "Let's do this." George smirked.
    "Ok..." I took a deep breath and walked forward into the clearing. The wedding was taking place at an old castle that was said to be haunted. It was beautiful and the haunted story made it all the more interesting. My Dad thought I would chose that location. The wedding would take actually take place in front of it where there was a gorgeous garden and the reception would be inside.
    I came out of the castle doors with Bess and George behind me. My father waited by the door and wrapped his arm around mine. We walked.
    Everyone was there. The police, old high school friends, faces I had met on cases, Justice Department workers, and more. My heart warmed and I smiled as the crowd smiled at me. I felt so appreciated, thankful, and beautiful.
    As we approached the alter, I locked eyes with Ned. He looked nervous at first, but once he saw me, his nerves seemed to melt away. As did mine. He looked so handsome in his black suit. His hair was combed back. I smiled. He smiled back.
    In a blur, the ceremony went by quickly. Frank, Joe, George, Bess, Hannah, and my Father all made speeches. Chief McGinnis even made a speech, thanking me for all I have done for River Heights.
    Before I knew it, we were saying I do. "You may kiss the pride," the priest said. And Ned did. We kissed and the world faded away. I forgot about all the past and was only focused on him.
    The after party was amazing. The castle's stone walls were gorgeous and the room was lit with the glow of white Christmas lights and candles. A band was playing with my favorite old song's and Ned's favorite rock songs. We danced, laughed, have cheers, and cried. Everyone was so supportive. I couldn't believe how happy I was.
    I wanted it to stay this way forever. In thirty years I still wanted to see myself with these people, dancing and laughing and crying with them.
But, for now, there was one thing I knew and that was this...
Everyday was a new mystery. The best thing I could do was embrace it and enjoy myself. Whatever happens, I'm sure it will be great. Besides, I love a good mystery and life definitely is a mystery in itself.

The End