The Host ¤ The Next Chapter: 21

Start from the beginning

So, I climbed out onto the ledge one leg at a time through the window. I straddled the sill with my right leg already on the outside, and my left still in. Then, I ducked my head underneath the open window pane and grabbed onto the sides to help balance myself. The last thing I did was stand up while pulling my left leg through.

It worked, but now I was standing on a ledge five floors above the ground with barely anything to hold onto.

I got passed my fear and focused on the ledge, inching slowly to the other side. I had left myself barefoot because skin had a better grip than rubber on sanded stone bricks.

Then, as suddenly as I had thrown myself into this situation, it was over. I reached the other side and sat down on the sill, taking it one leg at a time. I ducked under the window and pulled the rest of myself through.

I quickly walked away from the window and brushed myself off. The brushing was more out of habit. Though the body's mind might not have any memories, the muscles did. They remembered certain actions the host repeated daily.

After checking myself over quickly, I walked up to the door and pressed against it. I used the eyehole to check the hallway.

The Seeker who was guarding my room was sitting in a fold-out chair, facing away from this room. He was more concerned with the left half of the hallway than the right. I quietly snuck out of this room and disappeared down the nearest flight of stairs.

Patient apartments were always located on the above floors of the facility. Opperating, treatment, and storing rooms were on the first couple floors. I went down the fire exit stairs to the second floor, making as little noise as I could on the way down.

On the second floor, I entered through the door into the hallway. Somewhere around here, they would store the human bodies waiting for a Soul host. The hall I was in lead out to the center of the building where this floor's central office would be. I wouldn't be able to sneak passed the desk workers there the way I was. Luckily for me, there was a closet closeby.

I snuck inside and found that it had extra white coats for Healers. I grabbed one and put it on. There was also extra medical supplies ordered on the shelves. I took a stethoscope and put it around my neck for extra measure. Then, I re-entered the hallway and started walking towards the desks.

"Hello." I greeted the woman sitting at the desk. 

She looked stunned, but returned my greeting.

"I was wondering where they stored the human bodies here?" I asked. "I'm new here, and frankly, I'm lost." I told her sheepishly, smiling the slightest fraction.

"Oh," She sighed and took on a more friendly demeanor. "The freezer room is to your right," She pointed in the direction of the hallway in the 'East' direction. I had come from the intersection's 'South' direction. "And all the way down the hallway to your left. You can't miss it."

I nodded and thanked her before taking my leave. I followed her instructions, going down the 'East' hallway until I reached a metal door labeled 'Freezer' on the left. Since all Souls trust each other, the door wasn't locked. There was no fear of humans getting out because most Souls believed that a human's conciousness was gone once they had been possessed. That was their mistake.

I went inside and looked around. The back of the room had bookshelves with precious organs waiting for recievers. Although my kind's medicine could heal almost anything, we couldn't replace severly damaged vital organs. Closer to the door, there were steel tables with bodies laid out upon them. They could last a day or so without a host. The only body the hospital had so far was my old one.